Ten Commandments for pets from the pets view

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by CheriS, Dec 16, 2002.

1. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

This was posted on another list, the author unknown, if we ever locate who it is that wrote it, we will of course acknowledge them..... I thought it was very appropriate for all of us:

1: My life is likely to last several years or more. Any separation from you will be painfull for me. Remember that before you get me.

2: Give me time to understand what you want from me

3: Place your trust in me. It is critical to my well-being.

4: Don't be angry with me for long and don't punish me. You have your work, entertainment, and friends, and I only have you.

5: Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice.

6: Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget it.

7: Please don't hit or abuse me. I can't hit back, but I can bite and scratch and I really don't want to do that.

8: Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right foods or I've been left in the sun too long or my heart is getting old and weak.

9: Take care of me when I get old. You will grow old too.

10: Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say "I can't bear to watch" or "let it happen in my abscence." Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, I love you.

[Edited on 16/12/2002 by CheriS]

[Edited on 10/1/2003 by CheriS]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

How true!
    A copy of that ought to be given to all prospective pet owners!!!!!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Rainey

Rainey New Member

whoa... that really tugs at the heart strings!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. froggystyle34

froggystyle34 New Member

its is funny that you post taht but that ius how i treat all my herps, and animals. my wife makes fun of me cause i talk to my snakes like they are babies, i always treat my animals like my kids, they crap i clean, there hungry i feed. i have six reptiels right know and i always handle them for at leat 30 minutes to an hour a day. it reminds of a story, when i got my big corn and held him for the first time he was flighty but calmed down. whent he owner tried to grab him he snapped aty him and crawled back on my shoulder, and around my neck and sat there for three hours during the rest of the show. funny how animals who are supposed to be stupid, know who will trerat them well.

froggy

animals are people too, treat them well and they will treat you well.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. LizardGuy1313

LizardGuy1313 New Member

Whoa. That was awesome, so touching and true. I wish everybody could feel that way about their animals. :mad:

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

hmmm maybe I'm getting philosophical in my old age or spending two hours installing and running updates for win xp on a puter could make you become philosophical but.....
    I truly think there is a difference between people that "own" pets and people that "keep" or "have" pets. I would say that I have/keep pets.... They are treated like family members and yes I even talk to them, so does my wife and son. We dedicate a large percentage of our income and time to our animals and it really becomes more than a hobby, it is as if they are part of our family. Well enough of the aimless rantings... that is how I feel :)

[Edited on 12/21/2002 by stormyva]

12. CheriS

so true froggy... so very true

13. froggystyle34

froggystyle34 New Member

i dont consider myself an owner or a keeper. i consider myself a parent of six snakes two dogs and an infant, and a husband of my beautiful wife. owners just own there snakes and do what they need to do to have something cool alive in there hosue, keepers are a little more advanced than owners, but parents truly care for there animals. none of my snakes are able to get upa nd feed themsleves or get new water, they rel on me, not only for that but companionship as well. we as adopted parents to our herps must acost for vet bills food etc. etc. as i sit here i realize how much trust these snakes have in me, depending on me for food water and excercise. i myself am a parent, and a proud one to boot

froggy

14. natashaccollins

natashaccollins Member

I have a few more commandments for you to add:

11. When I first arrive let me settle in for a few days before you play with me.

12. You have your bed at night I to need somewhere warm and safe to curl up when I sleep.

13. I need to have exercise sometimes to keep me fit and healthy.

14. Make sure you have time for my needs, because if you don't I could become ill.

Don't think I have repeated anything.

15. LeoLover

LeoLover New Member

That is very touching! Thank you for sharing! :)

16. Rainey

Rainey New Member

My Fiancee complains that I treat my corns better than I treat her sometimes. LOL :)

17. CheriS

LOL Rainey, you can always point out the reptiles don't steal the covers, want midnight snacks or yell when you leave the lid up!

:)

18. nathanjburt

nathanjburt New Member

I think that is really touching what you have written there CheriS, I wish more people would see it that way. I know so many people that don't treat their pets in the way that they deserve and it really bugs me. I just wanna go up to them and treat them the way they do their pets. :)

[Edited on 28/1/2003 by nathanjburt]

19. mickeydee1984

mickeydee1984 Embryo

This is truly beautiful :)

20. cd

cd Member

That was great. Being a teacher of a very difficult age group of kids, I see it as working for them, as well as animals. That may sound cheesy, but I had both in mind as I read that. It is a wonderful way to look at having a pet, or a pet having you, as the case is for me. And I agree with what people are saying about how some people treat their animals. Way back when I had my job at a pet store, people would come in with a hurt animal asking for advice. Like this lady who had an iguana with a leg that was broken it about three places from what I could see (which she said happened two weeks ago. So I asked her what she would do if she had the broken leg. And she said "I would have gone to the emergency room as soon as it happened." And I asked her to explain to me why he should deserve anything less than what she would expect for herself. She had no answer, but then again asked what she should do. So I told her that after she breaks her own leg, and then goes to the hospital and asks the sixteen year old candy striper to fix her up, I'd answer her question. Some people really make me mad. Me and my boyfreind have bought cat food over dinner before because payday wasn't coming fast enough. For me, its the right thing to do. We have alot more choices on how to fix our own situations then our animals do for fixing theirs.
    This was beatutiful, thanks so much for putting it on here. I know a few people with pets and children alike that I'd love to print it out and mail to. Truelly words to live by.
    -Cristine

21. Sirch

Sirch Member

im gonna put those into my signature
    those are really true
    i treat all of my pets (dog and beardie and (used to be)fish)as family
    i spoil my dog, and i try to be the best parent for my beardie as possible
    great words of wisdom

22. Sirch

Sirch Member

too big for a signature
    too bad :cry:

23. lturbott

lturbott Member

Cheri, I hope you don't mind that I added that to my site. I believe it says so much!!

Thank You for sharing.

24. Snookmaster

Snookmaster New Member

so true....but does it apply to knight anoles.lol

25. reako45

reako45 Member

God! That was awesome! I've got 14 herps and 2 cats, and I love them all, but after reading that, I look at them now in a totally different way.

thanx
    reako45