Tell Me What You Think Of My Semi-Aquatic Terrarium

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Mescaline, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Mescaline

Mescaline New Member

this is my first attempt at trying to create a semi-aquatic terrarium, so im making this post in hopes that people with more experience will see it, and maybe offer some critizism/advice/comments.

http://codemaster.150m.com/ter/ter.htm

the fog on the right is actually where the water is, its just covered with the fog from the fogger (obviously :roll: ) i put the rocks underneath the soil im attempt to create an artificial water bed.

at the moment this terrarium isnt housing anything, but soon i will be acquiring some tree frogs.

so what do you think of my sem-aqautic terrarium??

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JStrider

JStrider Member

I dont know anything about making semi aquatic terrariums... but it looks awesome...

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jmadams

jmadams New Member

It look great. What kind of lid or clips are you using. the metal bend over the sides looks neat. Whats under the water? It looks like some sort of liner. I know your frogs are going to be very very happy in there.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Mescaline

Mescaline New Member

im using the standard metal lid you would find at your local pet store. and underneat the water is just some of the substrate that has settled to the bottom.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. theone

theone New Member

nice

jp

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Mescaline

Mescaline New Member

i now realize that they need more areas to climb and more plants to hide/sleep.

12. joe5555

joe5555 Member

yah treefrog like hiding on the back of leaves. Very nice st-up.

13. skjoldhus

skjoldhus New Member

If there is an area of running water and the water course is of fair size it is called ( and yours I believe falls into this category ) a Paladarium.
    Second pointer, a bit too humid for most tree frogs,... it is a common idea among many folks that they need a large amount of humidity, and in fact very few species of tree frogs like it very humid. They live arboreally, and the humidty levels are not as great there. They generally hide during the day on the underside of leaves and fauna, thus even avoiding large amount's of rainwater during rainfalls. Make sure that there is adequate ventilation at the top.
    And the last point,... It looks very nice! Best wishes and have a good day!
    - Erik -

14. Mescaline

Mescaline New Member

Thanks for that information. What do you suggest the relative humidty should be? Right now it ranges from 60-70%

15. skjoldhus

skjoldhus New Member

That is a good range for Cuban Tree Frogs. For Red Eyed Frogs I would increase it to an ambient humidity of 75-85%, ( These are a group refered to collectively as Leaf Frogs.) For True tree frogs in the genus Hyla I would reduce the humidity to around 45-60%. While for Whites Tree frogs 35-40% is generally sufficient. Monkey frogs have the lowest humidity range from 20%-40% depending on the species.
    I left you this general guide as I am not sure what particular types of frogs you are getting. Hope that that helps! Take care.
    - Erik -

16. BD59602

BD59602 New Member

wow, i like that a lot, that looks incredible

17. Drakken

Drakken Embryo

Very nice! That's the type of system I'm looking to do. Actually, that's how I found this site - doing research. ;)

How did you make the pool? What keeps the substrate from turning it to mud? Is there a river or waterfall?

Thanks!

18. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

that is a great setup what size tank is that?

19. DirtySoap

DirtySoap New Member

awesome. and froggy. hehehe froggy! foggy!

20. shadowfx78

shadowfx78 New Member

Just one question? How are those Gauges mounted to the front like that? are they inside the tank?

21. Mescaline

Mescaline New Member

Drakken - I made the pool by placing river rocks at the bottom of the tank, placing some mesh atop that, then placing the substrate ontop of that. So the substrate doesn't turn to mud because the water only touches the river rock. I attempted a waterfall with the log on the right but failed.

KLiK - 50 gallons

shadowfx78 - The thermometer/hygrometer have 2 sided sticker. At the time of the picture they were on the outside, but I later put them on the inside.

Here is a picture of my new set-up:
    http://codemaster.150m.com/ter/terr.htm

22. Freaky_pete

Freaky_pete Well-Known Member

yes I agree I had to put my gauge in the tank according to the instuictions