Tegu Eye Problems

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by tcutone, Nov 25, 2008.

1. tcutone

tcutone Embryo

I have owned a red tegu for about a year now and I estimate his age to be 2-3 years old. I noticed a big change in his behavior. I believe he is going into hibernation because he stopped eating and I read that this is normal. However I have noticed a problem with his eyes. It seems as if he cannot open his eyes and i'm not sure if he can see. I don't know what has casued this and I am wondering is someone can offer me some advice on what the problem is. Has anyone ever experienced a similar problem with their Tegu. I don't think he can see anymore and i don't know if it is something I can treat at home. he is not opening his eyes and I want to do everything in my power to help him get better. Can anyone offer any advice that I can try to see if I can correct the problem. I am going to start by changing his betting and try providing him norishment by way of a needless syringe in his mouth with pureed food and a calcium supplement. Can someone please offer me some advice on what to do to make him better. Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me get my beloved pet better.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

I dont know a great deal about tegu's but would strongly suggest a trip to vet, in the mean time till you get appointment try bathing them with warm water, using cottonbuds or even just plain cottonwool.
    Has there been any changes to the setup.
    You are doing right about syringe feeding but can you get something like Critical Care Formula, it may be a different name where you live, it contains all the essential vitamins, amino acids, and probiotics, everything it needs to sustain him. It can be added to drinking water as well as mixed in with the pureed food.
    The only sure way is a trip to vet.
    Sorry I cant help you more.