Tank sizes

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by beardedbuddie, Nov 6, 2002.

1. beardedbuddie

beardedbuddie Embryo

I'm looking to get a bearded dragon or a water dragon can you give me the recommended size for one of these two??

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Well, the recommended size for a bearded dragon really depends mostly on the size of the dragon.

For a hatchling bearded dragon, a 10 gallon will do for a couple of months, then move up to a 20 gallon (regular or long) til they're about 12-14" long or so, then go for a 55 gallon.

You want AT LEAST a 55 gallon for an adult beardy. Depending on the sex & personality of the beardy though, you might want to go bigger. Females like to roam around and dig a lot - at least ours do - so you may want to have a little sandpit in there for 'em. For the substrate in our beardy enclosures (of all ages) we use reptile carpet. In the adults enclosures, we have a sandpit for the dragons to dig around in, and we keep their food & water bowls on the opposite end of the tank to the sand. Some males also like to roam around their tanks a lot and show off their dominance - so you'll have to figure out whether you want/need to go bigger than a 55 gallon as it grows, but that's the bare minimum you need for an adult beardy.

Our two adult females are in 65 gallon tanks, and our adult male is in a custom built enclosure about the equivalent of a 90 gallon - with another custom one equivalent to around 120 gallons currently being built.

For a pair, you'd want to really go for at least a 75 gallon, preferably 100 gallon or more. Just to make sure they can go and get some peace when they want it :)

For the water dragons, I've really no clue. I've never kept one, so not looked much into their care requirements. Perhaps somebody else here could help you with that one :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. froggystyle34

froggystyle34 New Member

if i were you i would go with a 55 like axe said or better yet a 75 gallon so they have room to roam. i am all about giving reptiles room to raom.

froggy