Tank size and probably a few other corn snake questions.

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by brado, Feb 8, 2005.

1. brado

brado Member

Hello everyone, first time poster (well, here in snake land anyway).

So when I went to buy my crickets tonight I decided (for some unknown reason) to pick up and play with a cornsnake. An Albino cornsnake mostly, although at one point I was holding a normal morph in one hand, or should I say crawling up my arm and onto my shoulder and the Albino in my other hand... I thought that was a bit excessive, especially since it was the first time I've held a snake. Not that I was nervious, but it was a bit much to keep an eye on. :p

Long story short, the snakes were about a month old and I had a blast holding/playing with them. I probably wont be able to get a snake soon, or for maybe a year or two... but when (if) I do I would wantto get it at that size and watch it grow up.

Since they were only a month old, and about 8-12 inches in length, I would assume they would probably feel more secure in a 10gallon then a 20L... If I'm correct about that, how long would the 10gallon last for?

Oh, and how thick do they get? The ones I were playing with were about pencil thickness. I think that I read online that corn's are some of the smaller snakes out there, which is good because I don't want anything too huge... 4-6 feet would be great!

Thanks!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Four to five feet would be about the biggest you will see a corn. They are pretty light bodied too. The 10 or 20 would be fine for a young'un, the 10 would hold it for somewhere around 6 months, maybe a bit longer.

Check out the care sheets section of the site for more information on the corn snakes.