Tank Question

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by treyclash13, Apr 14, 2009.

1. treyclash13

treyclash13 New Member

ok so heres the deal im sure everyone has seen the pics ive posted of the new tank and all well today ive added the 160watt uvb bulb. soo there is 4 lights on one side of the tank and a 100 watt on the other side to keep it rlly bright for em. the only problem is that the cold side thermometer read 88 - 90... i am scared they may over heat... ;) but i mean the sand over there is about 4-5" deep and there is a good hiding spot they can burrow under... althought they mainly go under the basking granite tiles to chill and hang for some reason... think they will b ok??

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MimC

MimC Moderator

You need to have cooler temps than that on the cool side - they can overheat in the set up you are describing.

Instead of using a 100w on the cool side, just use a coil fluorescent household bulb - this gives off plenty of light and very little heat.

Other options for getting a better gradient is to build up the hides on the hot side (i believe i showed pictures of this before - if not let me know and i will show you) by building many low hides and securely stacking them on top of each other. This brings the basking spot closer to the basking bulbs, meaning you may not need as much heat to achieve adequate basking temps - there fore creating a better gradient, while still maintaining high basking temps. This method also allows the uros to get closer to their UVB - and if you are using any uvb that is not a mercury vapor bulb you want them to be able to get pretty close to the bulb (10-12inches at the maximum)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. treyclash13

treyclash13 New Member

kk gotcha. ima go to petsmart and just get a regular daylight bulb that shuldnt give off any heat and put that n and c wat it does to their temp tomorrow

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. MimC

MimC Moderator

any of the reptile bulbs at the petstore will give off heat - unless its a UVB bulb. You dont need to buy the bulb at the petstore - just go to walmart, home depot, or any large grocery store and buy a fluorescent bulb for the house. This will give off light but no heat.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. treyclash13

treyclash13 New Member

too late ;) i bought 2x 60 wat power suns and took out 2x 150watts and put the 60 watts on the cooler side.that shuld definate drop me some temp one would hope.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

i dont believe zoo med makes a 60 watt power sun.

fluorescents on the cool side would be the best choice as MimC said.

12. treyclash13

treyclash13 New Member

they r 60 watt sunglows im sowwiez. watever kind it is at pet smart lol. the snake pit was closed at 6 ;)

13. treyclash13

treyclash13 New Member

?? UVB bulbs dont give off heat?? cause i got that 160watt powersun and thought it wuld give off heat like one of my 150watts and put it as their main basking bulb? does it need to go on the basking end or n one of the middle spots and replace that spot with my 100watt??

14. MimC

MimC Moderator

Sorry - let me correct myself. Mercury Vapor Bulbs (which are a special type of UVb bulb such as the powersun that you have) do give off heat and UVB.

What i meant to say is that MOST uvb bulbs dont give heat - as most of them are fluorescent bulbs (the various tubes and coil shaped ones). Sorry for the confusion! The powersun that you have DOES give off heat.

The powersun should be in the basking spot as you have it where it can provide both UVB and heat to your uro in his basking spot ;)

On the "cool" side you can use just a household flourescent bulb that looks like this: http://www.1000bulbs.com/3-Way-CFL/ to give off light without adding heat.

15. sammy28

sammy28 Embryo

coil flourescent bulbs (normal or with UVB) are harmful for any lizards due to their concentration.

I would recommend if you do not buy an MVB with the heat included, buy a tube UV light.

-sam