super worms

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by Ksqrd, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Ksqrd

Ksqrd New Member

boy this came up at just the right time.
    I bought a tub of super worms alt night, as Puff actually will eat them.
    The pet store people could not tell me how to keep them alive.
    Right now they are in a tub with a bunch of oatmeal, and some egg carton...anything else they need?
    How long can I expect them to survive?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

i'd feed them fruit and/or cricket food and water (like 'flukers' brand).

also, don't *only* feed superworms and mealworms - they are high in fat. insectivores main food should be crickets. do everything you can to get them to eat crickets.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. herpslave

herpslave Member

Superworms can survive4-5 maybey siix months. Then they pupate. After about 2 weeks it's likely for them to hatch from the pupae stage, into a beetle. Refreigeration kills, put them in any good gutload whether commercial gutload or internet gutload, or a reccomened gutload from a good site. Cricketfood.com has the best gutload, especially made for mealies,crickets,roches. They are very healthy.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

can superworms be stored in a fridge? i have read online that they cannot but i was in petco and they did have them in the fridge.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

i believe mealworms can be kept in the fridge, so supers should be able to, also. not completely sure, though. if they are in cooler temperatures they will not metamorphosize as quickly.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. herpslave

herpslave Member

You can store them in the fridge, but the temps cannot be low... It has to be very warmer then your reguler fridge Most likely this petco does not have much knowledge on super worms. Maybey you should tell them to stop this stupid act theey are doing. If you look on many sites that are skilled in breeding superworms or just info on superworms like on drgecko.com it sais do not refrigerate. Superworms live long enough anyways. If some were beetles and were to breed. It would not be a big deal as you could sell them to a local store. As you would get a load of them.

12. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

DONT STORE SUPERWORMS IN A FRIDGE!!!! Superworms come from tropical climates and thrive a temps between 65 and 80. they dont "hibernate" like mealworms do, superworms die. it takes about 4 weeks for them to pupate so there wuld be no need to refrigerate anyway. trust me i breed my own.