Super Worm Feeding

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by Frost_Wraith, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Frost_Wraith

Frost_Wraith New Member

I'm having problems feeding superworms to my tokay and my brother's leo. The problem is, how do you keep them from escaping? My tokay doesn't touch anythign that isn't live prey and the leo (tho he will eat freeze dried crickets) only eats live worms. The first time we fed worms to the leo we learned a lesson. That superworms can escape! We were hunting them all through the substrate for about an hour. So for a long while we didn't feed them superworms. The other day I bought a meal worm bowl from exo-terra
    http://www.exo-terra.com/products/worm_feeder_i.php

I got some super worms out of the fridge set them in the bowl and put it in with my tokay that night. I wake up this morning to find that he hasn't eaten any of them. I'm worred he can't see the worms in it (even more worried that soemthign might go wrong) is there any other way to present superworms to a gecko?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

I've only fed my leos superworms a cpl of times. My collareds and beardie eat most of them. They are fast, aren't they? The way I feed them, to prevent them from burrowing to escape, is to hold the superworm in front of them (so that the herp sees it), and then let it go in front of them. I have never had one escape this way. It takes a little longer to feed, but it works the best.

Hope this helps,
    Rebecca

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Frost_Wraith

Frost_Wraith New Member

Ouch! Ok, I just tried that with my tokay, he didn't really seem to care that there was a nice big superworm in front of him, he was more concerned with my hand being near him. He struck at me twice and ran off to his hiding spot. I have no clue what to do now

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jrobinson

jrobinson New Member

i have the same problem with the worm feeding dish, my dragon doesnt notice they are in there, so every once in a while, when he is near it, i will take the lid off so he can see the worms in there. but for the most part i just drop them in front of him, and he gobbles them up before they burrow into the sand. i have never tried to feed them to my leo yet, it is still a little on the small side for superworms. oh and by the way, im pretty sure...your NOT supposed to keep superworms in the fridge like meal worms.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Frost_Wraith

Frost_Wraith New Member

I guess hes really not suited for superworms. He just wont touch them. I try to drop them in front of him and he doesn't care. Hes more concerened about me being near him and ignores the worms. won't eat them out of the dish. I guess I should stick to crickets. Tho I would love to have more variety for him.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Yeah...I don't believe so either. It says on my package not to refridgerate.

Rebecca

12. herpslave

herpslave Member

Yah the superworms can live up to 4-5 months sometimes 6. Fridgeing supers can kill them. Maybey get a nice sized set of tweezers and grab the super by the tail. And put it infront of the tokays face. i find feeding 2 supers every 2 days and nothing else works usually. But I prefer to feed them every day or 2. with alot fo crickets opr mealies. Oh and there are smaller supers that could maybey trick your tokay into thinking there mealies.

13. reako45

reako45 Member

If you've got a large enough tank put a plastic tupperware in there maybe w/ some calcium and the supers. Make sure the sides are high enough that the supers can't get out. This seems to work w/ my two male Bibrons and my Goldens when I feed them butterworms and giant mealies.

reako45