Sudden Death 2 more info

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by stina3246, Aug 20, 2004.

1. stina3246

stina3246 Member

I got him from the Florida International Reptile Expo in July from a very reputable breeder and he'd been doing great. (The breeder was very helpful later on too, I called several times with worried new mom questions)
    I was feeding him 2-3 crickets a day but I'd read on a reptile website that they should only eat every 2 days. I only gave him a tiny bit of babyfood. (He wouldn't eat it on his own, I'd dab a bit on his nose and he'd lick it off) I wasn't aware that newspaper was bad for him but the bruise was definitely not ink from the news paper. It looked like internal bleeding. It did get very hot in the house, we just went through the hurricane and our power was out for 4 days. Normally it never gets over 75 in our house but it could have gone over 80 without the air conditioner. It hadn't occurred to me that the heat would bother him so much, I have other reptiles and they seemed to enjoy it.
    Any other info you can offer would be helpful......I feel terrible, I was SO excited to get him and I thought I'd been overly cautious about his care but apparently not.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. BigZ3788

BigZ3788 Well-Known Member

What else is in the cage?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. BigZ3788

Female crickets can sometimes have longe egg depositors that can punture a geckos stomach if not removed.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. herpslave

herpslave Member

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. BigZ3788

baby crested

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. stina3246

stina3246 Member

He had a branch to climb, a fake vine, a wooden reptile cave and a stone water dish. The items were all reptile safe. He was in a glass tank with a mesh lid. I NEVER left him alone with live crickets. I'd feed him one at a time and make sure he'd eaten each one. If he didn't eat it within about a half hour I'd remove it.

12. stina3246

stina3246 Member

YIKEs!!

:shock: What does the egg depositer look like and how do you remove it? I want another crested but now I'm paranoid. Is there something else you can feed them that isn't so dangerous?

13. herpslave

herpslave Member

Its a black stem like thing in there butt. What they use to deposit there eggs in moss. im not sure that info that was given is correct. But ask around I guess. Another thing is make sure you definitely make sure your doing all cage requirements perfect. What kind of cage was he in a tall reptarium like or a reguler gallon long or something.
    There are things you can do to make your tank cooler.

14. BigZ3788

Its acctually called the abdomin [i am sure you know] But yea thats about where it is... What kind of wood were those reptile caves and such made out of also did you wash the cage before you got him? Did you also wash the other items in the cave and with what? If you used bleach you must rinse very well!!!

15. stina3246

stina3246 Member

I washed it with soap and water, all the stuff inside was new eccept for the cave which was made of some hard type of wood covered in bark. It was supposed to be reptile safe. I THINK the leafs were nylon but I'm not sure.
    He lived in it for over a month, he acted healthy. He was active and ate very well.He never acted sick, He didn't even have a sluggish day, he just died suddenly and with no warning.

16. Slizarus

Slizarus New Member

Where did you hear they could pierce a reptiles scales? That's insane.. the only way to do that would be the underbelly.. and it would have to be Taut and Soft, where most Geckos have slightly loose skin and soft, yet durable scales.. (in this case at least)

17. BigZ3788

i said i heard it would peice there stomach... for instance when they eat it the egg depositor will stab them on the inside.

18. geckogirl171

geckogirl171 Embryo

Just wanted to add a more common problem would be impaction of either the crickets or substrate. Most likely crickets b/c their body parts can cause impaction fairly easily. Had he been going to the potty regularly?
    Let us know, K?

19. BigZ3788

thatts probly what the problem was but she used newspaper so i dont know really.

20. stina3246

stina3246 Member

He was going potty regularly and normally. What else was I supposed to feed him if not crickets?

21. BigZ3788

mealworms wax worms possibly baby food

22. stina3246

stina3246 Member

NO MEAL WORMS for baby Geckos?

I was told that I should never feed meal worms to a baby Gecko because sometimes they are still alive (Geckos swollow food whole) and may bite the inside of the baby's stomach.
    :shock:

23. herpslave

herpslave Member

Aww not again. For the last wait forget last for the 1000th time mealworms cannot eat out of a stomache. Acids in the gecko stomache kill mealworms quick.

Chittin cannot be stuck in a stomache. Only being loaded with mealies in a small gut will make very temprary constipation.

24. stina3246

stina3246 Member

OK...that's good to know. I'm getting a pair of adult crested geckos tomorrow, meal worms just seem easier to deal with then crickets. There is SO much conflicting info out there!! You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I've been told. That's why I like this site. Several people will answer and if they all come to the same conclusion, I'm guessing it's probably correct.
    Thanks again.