Sudan Plated Lizard and Red Headeded Agama " Any Info&q

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Darina, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Darina

Darina Embryo

Can anyone help me out?? I have a sudan plated lizard and a red headed agama, the probelm is I cannot find any information on these lizards. Do you know anyone that has had experience in keeping them or of any books or internet sites available, any information would be brillant. Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Darina

Darina Embryo

I have been doing herptology for nearly seven years now and I currently have over twelve species in my collection, I am not stupid I obviously have the basic facilities. They where badly mistreated so they were given to me to look after, they are very happy and very healthy but I need more info to make their lives even better!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. slimmy

slimmy Member

GOOD JOB!! and good luck with your rescue efforts!!!! i'm glad to see they have a caring keeper that will make sure they have a proper home!!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

hello darina and welcome - i'm sure klik didn't mean for his comment to come off the way it did. we just tend to get upset if we think someone has gotten an animal without doing research first.

i'm sorry to say that i don't know much about sudan plated lizards . . . i'm sure someone else around here does.

the red-headed agamas i do know, though. we have some at my university and they are currently in my care. they can be prone to impactions (like many herps) so we make sure to keep them off 'calci-sand' (or any kind of sand), gravel, and wood chips. instead we use ESU Lizard Litter we've had no problems with it. we are housing them individually and i don't know how well they do housed together - they are pretty hyper and i don't imagine they should be housed together. we are ffeeding them about 6 crickets every other day and they eat like pigs! once a week the crickets are dusted with reptile vitamins. their tanks are kept about 80F with heat lamps (heat rocks are terrible for herps). another moderator here, biochic, has some more info on red-headed agamas - i'll let her know you are looking for info on them!

good luck!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Darina

Darina Embryo

Thanks for that, much appreciated. I have housed two agamas before but the large male bullied the smaller female, he did not allow her to eat ,drink or sleep and made her life a misery so I have lent my lesson. Thanks, keep me posted

12. Hummingbird

no problemo! doesn't surprise me about the agamas.

here's a great care sheet i found on the red-headed agama: Red-Headed Agama

also a general plated lizard care sheet from a very reputable source: Plated Lizard Care Sheet

another good general plated care sheet: Plated Lizard Care Sheet 2

and, finally, a good sudan plated lizard care sheet from the same place as the red-headed agama care sheet above: Sudan Plated Lizard Care Sheet

all reputable sources and the care sheets appear to be good.

13. Darina

Darina Embryo

Thanks for that, valuable information, I have also read that the RHA is an omnivore do you agree? I dont agree with this as far as I am concerned it is definitely a carnivore.

14. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

sorry to sound like a prick in my other post i really didn't mean to. but the way you said that you couldnt find any information on them sounded like when people get a baby iguana and decide its ok to feed it chicken scraps. hope your new little guys do fine. oh and by the way go here become a member and ask the member named Jay for information on the sudan plated lizard he has one and it is in great shape.

p.s.
    i have never heard of an agama eating fruit and vegetables only insects. where did you hear this from? if it was on a website i would like to check that out and see their information to back that up.

15. Hummingbird

i have never tried to feed them fruits and veggies. perhaps i will offer them some chopped fruit and greens this week and see if they like it. i'll let you know what they do!