strange caterpillars...

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by dan420, Oct 20, 2004.

1. dan420

dan420 Member

I just recieved some crix in the mail from www.grubco.com and they were all a pretty good size, except for two really big ones. However, there were also 3 very strange looking caterpillar type things in there. They had a reddish body and had some hairs all over them too. I really wish i had taken a picture of them, but i just acted impulsively and killed them. Anyone have any idea what they may have been?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

I would not worry too much. I have had all sorts of different insects show up with my cricks. It is actually pretty common. Spiders, caterpillars, roaches, beatles, etc. I would say that 1 in 5 shipments will have "extra" passengers.

If you have the extra space I would suggest you raise your own. It really is a breeze to do. Give them food, water, heat and a place to lay eggs and they do all the rest. It is much cheaper that way in the long run.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

dan i have gotten those little caterpillars in the crix i get from petland every now and then i just get rid of them.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. dan420

dan420 Member

yeh i wasnt really concerned or anything, they were just kind of weird looking.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

they are fast moving little things

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. dan420

dan420 Member

yeh, i was surprised, when i first saw it and went to grab it, it went right out from under my hand

12. Derek

Derek Member

Those little caterpillar thigs are actualy little bugs that eat dead things. They are at all of the feeder breeders because allot of there rodents and crix die. We did a little experement with them at one of are stores we put a dead mouse in a paper bag with a bunch of those caterpillar things and within a week it was bones.

13. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

damn. are they safe to feed to reptiles?

14. Derek

Derek Member

I’m not sure if they are safe but I would not take the risk. They are interesting though

15. Derek

Derek Member

They only eat dead things

16. OysterBoy

OysterBoy New Member

Wimps...

:wink:

17. dan420

dan420 Member

wow, that is quite amazing, the thing with the mice....im not letting him go anywhere near my beardie, alive OR dead.

18. Derek

Derek Member

Yes they are amazing bugs we get them the most in our dog bones thats where you can sometimes find hundreds.