Steve Irvin dead in Tragic Accident

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by CheriS, Sep 4, 2006.

1. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

Steve Irvin, the Crocodile Hunter was killed in a terrible marine accident Monday morning off the coast of Australia when what is believed a sting ray barb penetrated his heart

We have a news story on the home page with comments enable there to keep them in one location
    http://www.reptilerooms.com/

Steve was one of the first persons to respond back from our inquires to many zoos and universities back in 2001, to find out what the yellow discolorations that was showing up on bearded dragons in the US might be and suggested that they might be fungal, even though they did not culture

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

I cried when i just saw this over on my other forum. This is so sad. Stever Irwin will be so missed! He seemed indestructable, it's sad to see that a single stingray barb to the chest could take down such a great man. My condolences goes out to his wife and two children. :'(

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

LONG Live Stevo

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Keva

Keva New Member

He was such a great guy. Great enthusiasm and he loved animals. It's such a loss.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. StylingPaT

StylingPaT New Member

omg i would have never known if i didnt visit this forum this morning.. i cant believe he is dead..

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

How sad...

I heard on the news this morning, & I was in shock. My hubby & I have seen every show & his documentaries & movie. He was such an incredible & generous person, unbelievable that he is gone.
    I am truly going to miss him, he was a tremendous asset to the reptiles...
    We should try to send some type of condolence card out to his family, Cheri, what do you think?

Tracie

12. corey

corey Well-Known Member

RE: How sad...

i'am SO sad... :cry: he was such a generous, joyful, Happy father to his family and animals... :cry: i truly hope that his family will be allright... :cry:
    Rest In Peace Steve, rest in peace... :cry: :cry: :cry:

13. CheriS

RE: How sad...

I can ask to make an online card for the family and see if we can get post/online signatures there, then print it out and send it to them. Will let you all know shortly

14. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

Thanks

Hello Cheri,
    Thanks, I think a internet card would be great....
    Yes, it is very sad... :cry:

Tracie

15. staceface

staceface Member

RE: Thanks

RIP steve. i loved watching his shows, and his enormous love for every single animal.

16. CheriS

Here is another news article that gives a bit more detail info of what happened

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3786798a12,00.html

I started out in Marine Ecology and worked at what was then Cape Haze Marine Lab in Sarasota, Fl. I have been trying to figure out how a barb could have hit him in the chest. Any injury from a sting ray I have ever seen or heard of, happened when they were stepped on. Sting Rays do not stab out at people that I have ever know. It is when someone steps on them that allows them to arch up their stinger and hit someone, usually in the lower leg or ankle.

One report said the sting ray stabbed him out of the blue and I just can not imagine that happening or possible, there had to be some type of direct overhead contact with the ray.

17. Ryan1990

Ryan1990 Well-Known Member

From what I have heard he swam over the sting ray so maybe there was a split second of contact and it was enough to trigger the stabbing reaction?? Just an idea.
    It is truely sad and I think the online card thing would be a GREAT idea... we can show his family what respect the great man has gained himself through his fantastic work.

18. kephy

kephy Moderator

I've known since late last night. I haven't posted because I just don't know what to say that would do my feelings justice. He had a passion I admire so much, and he's completely irreplacable.

A lot of people say it was only a matter of time because he worked with dangerous animals. But you know what? Someone had to do it. There aren't many people who could have done the work he did, teaching the truth about these dangerous yet amazing and beautiful animals, and made it accessable to adults and children alike. Animals that most people feared, yet he taught us to love and admire them. He did so many things for animal conservation, he brought the concept into homes all over the world. If he didn't do it, who would have? Maybe it was only a matter of time, but Steve Irwin died for his passion, we should all be so lucky. I think if he had known he wouldn't have done it any differently. It's just a real shame that it was way too soon.

19. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

I think we, as a community, lost someone who tried very hard to reach as many people as he humanly could ... and did. He loved what he did, you saw that, in his shows on Animal Planet, through his work with the Austrailia Zoo; his every waking moment was for conservation & education. He will be greatly missed, and hopefully his wife Terri will continue the legacy he has created, and maybe someday, his children will pick up where he left off.

You'll be missed, Croc Hunter, dearly ... most of all by the creatures you advocated & loved so much. RIP.

~Michelle

20. kephy

kephy Moderator

I believe his children will carry on his legacy. Especially his daughter, Bindi. Bindi is old enough to know what he did and has been an active part of it for a while now. Rumor has it she is already showing the same intense passion he was famous for. One article I read said she has her own tv show in the making right now, and that is what he was capturing footage for when he was killed. I sincerely hope that show is a hit and maybe she grows up to be as great and far-reaching as he was. What a great memorial it would be for him. What a legacy.

21. CheriS

We have a forum now set up just for Steve, please feel free to post your thoughts there and those will be printed out in the futrue and send to his family

Memorial to the legacy of Steve Irwin
    http://www.reptilerooms.com/forumview-50.html

22. jimbobroy

jimbobroy New Member

Let us know when/what is going to happen with the card.
    We will all miss Steve may the Lord bless his family.

RIP Stevo

23. voodoo13

voodoo13 New Member

A Huge loss to the entire reptile world. There is no one like him thats for sure. I saw a show a while back that Roark Ferguson did. He said he had never met anyone like Steve. He said he had the biggest personality and had done more for the reptile and wildlife world than anyone ever. A true showman and he had so much respect for him. We lost him way to soon. A sad day indeed. He will live on in our hearts and minds thats for sure.

24. c3powil

c3powil New Member

my friend Colton is already missing Steve!!!!!

25. c3powil

c3powil New Member

boooohoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!