Staring?

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by reako45, Jan 30, 2006.

1. reako45

reako45 Member

I keep 4 snakes from the colubridae family; Cal King, SD Gopher, W. Hog, Pueblan Milk. My Milk snake is fairly new, so, I haven't observed this behavior from her... yet, but as for the other three, they have the sometimes disconcerting habit of staring @ me form their hides in their tanks.
    My friend keeps a Cal King and a Red Corn. They do the same thing. I was wondering if anyone else comes home or looks up from their living room chairs to find their colubrids staring straight at them :shock:

reako45

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. baller2413

baller2413 New Member

hognose

has nothing to do with what ur talking bout b were did u gt r hognose. i'm looking for 1

John_

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. reako45

reako45 Member

RE: hognose

I got my hog from a friend who breeds, but if you want to get 1 from someone good, go w/ www.renegadereptiles.com. Don't know where you're located, or if you've ever ordered herps online, but check them out. Very nice, knowledgeable folks. I've met them @ a couple of shows out here on the west coast. I always hear nothing but good things about them, and have even had other breeders recommend them to me. LOL!

reako45

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. baller2413

baller2413 New Member

hognose

and do uhave to feed hognose scented mice?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. reako45

reako45 Member

When I got mine he was taking live unscneted pinkies. I have toads as pets so I rub the pinky against my Texas toad (probably similar toa toad he'd encounter in the wild?), and he eats readily w/out fail. When you get your hog from the breeder ask how many times it's eaten and what it's eating. Definitely go w/ H. nasicus cuz I've read and heard that Easterns can be tricky to switch to mice.

reako45

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I worked with a group of about 4 Great Plains Ratsnakes and when you walked by, they would all be curled up under their log with their faces lined up next to each other staring out. It was very cute. But it's just a standard position to back their bodies into a secure area and keep their faces forward to watch for predators. Nothing odd about it....although I agree, sometimes disconcerting. lol

12. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Actually, my corn snake does the exact same thing. I used to think he was just watching me, but it would seem he is like that even when I know he can't see me. So it's more like a position he feels safe in.

13. reako45

reako45 Member

Figures, corns and rats are both Elaphe, and Pituophis snakes seem really closesly related to them. I find North American colubrids really fascinating.

reako45

14. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

As do I :D

15. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

i also like corns and am interesed in an indigo or a bullsnake

16. reako45

reako45 Member

Indigos are on the endangered species list here and really hard to get without alot of $$$ and the proper permits. Bulls you can find from breeders online or can be WC in parts of Texas.

reako45

17. lestat

lestat Moderator

My kingsnake used to watch my quite a bit when I had his cage next to my computer. Now my milksnake's cage is there, and he just hides. ;) I kinda liked having the king watch me. lol

18. kinsey

kinsey Embryo

my gopher loves watching me she comes to the side to greet me when i am home. i think its cute. anyways this is normal, it means they like you.