Stacking Roach Bins

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by Dubia Dynasty, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Dubia Dynasty

Dubia Dynasty New Member

I've been noticing that most roach bins the air holes are located dead on the top of most containers. If i wanted stacking bins can i do side air vents? If i seal them up good enough from escapee's and don't give them enough room too reach the lid of the tub. How much would it affect humidity and what not? My tempts. shouldn't be affected too much they are inside a heated closet.

Anyone else try this yet? Thanks for your time,

Dynasty!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Yes, you can put vents on the side. I've seen it done where a square was cut out of the side and replaced with screen mesh. In fact, Ronnie Buck used to have a tutorial for constructing cockroach and cricket bins and used side ventialation in his photos, but his site has been down for quite some time now (cricketfood.com) .

Just be sure it is very well secured; if the roaches can find a weakness they will try to wedge themselves into any space possible. I've tried sealing screen to the tops of bins with only packaging tape and over time have had escapees as they proceeded to wedge themselves further and further under the screen and tape. With side ventilation they will have even easier access to opening.

Dubia Dynasty likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Dubia Dynasty

Dubia Dynasty New Member

Ty for the advice!, Since you helped me I will post My easy Technique for securing screen too plastic. I can only detail so much through words so I will have too post a picture tutorial of it. But i found the best Tech. is not too cut giant holes it will weaken the containers structure, I like too use a hole saw bit for cutting out Door lock holes, just drill a few of those instead of 2 giant vent holes. I like too put my screen too the inside of the container for good looks, makes everything professional looking. When Sealing the screen too the tub( this is the part i like). Scuff up the surface of the tub your gluing too with sand paper or a flat file. Lay your mesh(aluminum works best as it wont melt on step 2) Flat against the tub and run a few small beads of hot glue all the way around the hole over the top of the mesh.
    now instead of just globing on glue and hoping it is %100 secure. I like too take an old sawzall blade or some kind of long skinny flat metal and heat it up with a propane insta torch.(hold the metal with some pliers or your gonna have a bad time lol). Then just go around the hole where you put the glue and use the aluminum screen as your guide dont touch the tub itself or you'll melt right through it. Now going all around the hole remelting the hot glue through the screen too the scuffed tub will give you a %100 easy secured hole. But you have too melt the bead of glue all the way around the hole you cut. Ill show Exactly what im talking about in another post. Ive rambled enough.

JEFFREH likes this.