Spike worms (Blue bottle fly larvae)?

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by Blankminded, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Blankminded

Blankminded Member

I went to a local fish and tackle shop today to see if they had some small crayfish for my pained turtle. As i was there i notice these worms called spike worms that looked just like wax worms. I was woundering if anyone had ever used these for feeders and how it went. I tried googling it and didnt find out much besides that there blue bottle fly larve. I was hoping to find out there nutrients. If there high in fat or anything else that would be helpful. They had cups of 100 for only $1.50. I bought a cup but wont use them until i find out more on these worms. Any help would be great. thanks

heres a couple pics of the worms
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. WEirdMaN

WEirdMaN Embryo

now those are weird i think im going to do a little study on them they sound CHEAP (maybe i might be able to get that 75 gal tank after all) but they look like a cross between a meal worm and a wax worm they got the shape and bod size and build like a wax worm but they got the color of a mealworm and are probably by the looks of em very fatty and the idea of them turning into flies is sorta unsettling :? ive never dealt with anything that turns into flies before ill post any finds i get

*edited*
    Spikes are a maggot, or larvae from the Blue Bottle Fly. Spikes are one of the best baits available, and many reptiles love them when they are dusted with a good quality gut load. 100 Spikes are just $9.95 Delivered! They are about 3/4". Available Spring, Winter and fall when temperatures are cool. Keep refrigerated for longevity.

100 Spikes for $9.95 Delivered!

1000 Spikes for $18.95

i found this at worman.com DONT ORDER FROM THEM they are unreliable just get em at the bait shop i will find more info

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Blankminded

Blankminded Member

Ya thats about hte only thing i fond on them. I also dont like worman due to the fact that ive hear waaaaaaay to much bad things about them. but if you buy them from a bait and tackle shop its cheaper.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. WEirdMaN

WEirdMaN Embryo

yha i noticed hmm i heard they arent thta bad of feeders just very fatty id say another treat for a reptile

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Maybe try to feed them to ur herps... maybe tomorrow feed them 2 or 3 along with their normal mealies or superworms... see how they do.... then feed them another couple in a day or two... keep an eye on their poop, sometimes when things are too fatty they dont be digested, just passed along, so if you see whole worms coming out they probably arent too nutritious.... but this can also happen if they eat too much or their stomac's are adjusting to a new food, so dont be worried if it happens the 1st or 2nd time u feed them, but if it comtinues to happen I wouldn't bother with them anymore....
    you may have found a good new feeder! yay!
    (you may also want to try and find out the scientific name for them and search google with that... may come up with more stuff) good luck!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. shadi26

shadi26 New Member

I researched these a few months back. i found on another site that it was being offered as a feeder. dont remember where though. i will try to find it..
    i also found the nutrition info.. i will look again and post when i find it..
    i talked to a couple people and decided that it was unsure because not many had heard of them.
    *************edited*************
    heres the info i found..
    The Twisters are the larvae of the Blue Bottle Fly. We have two nutritional break downs of them;

______________Wet _________DRY

Moisture % ..............65.6 ................. 10.0

Dry Matter ...............34.4 ....................90.0

Crude Protein ...........16.3.....................42.6

Fiber ........................2.9.......................7.5

Fat ...........................6.1.......................16.0

Ash...........................1.1 .......................2.9

Estimated Energy

Nitrogen Free Extract 23%

Total Digestible Nutrients 93.9%

I ran test at several pet shops and at pet shows and I found that bearded dragons, reptiles, frogs, turtles, birds, fresh water and salt water fish love them. They could not get too them fast enough to enjoy them. They need to be kept in the refrigerator at 35 degrees so the larva does not change into a pupa. They are keeping form 2-4 weeks this way. Just take them out of the refrigerator for about 10 minutes and your ready to go.

OUR PRICES ARE:

150 count 2.50

250 count 4.00

500 count 7.75

1000 – 5000 14.00

Plus shipping
    Shipping is Fed-X overnight
    We pack cold packs at no charge.

Sincerely,

Jon Bassett
    Insects USA

CONTACT INFO
    We're listing the web addy, but until it's up and running you can contact John by phone, FAX or by email.....

EMAIL: info@insectsusa.com

FAX: 559-747-3619

TOLL FREE: 877-634-2445

I checked and the web site is up.. they call them twisters.. i think i seen on butterworms.com they carry them too. pricing doesnt seem bad.

12. Blankminded

Blankminded Member

Twisters are blowfly(Calliphora Erythrocephela) Larvea and spikes are bluebottle fly(Calliphora vomitoria) Larvea. There from the same family but different flies. Thats why i dont belive they have the same nutritional value but i could be wrong.

They do turn reallly fast if not kepted in the freg. I bought to packs of 100 and the next day more then half of them turned. needless to say there in the freg now.LoL

i tried giving them to my leopard geckos and they love them. I only gave them a few to see how they do and everything seems to be good. there poops are fine and there health seems fine. They really do love them the only thing is there size. spikes are really small but love to wiggle and move so they leo's ate them right up. ive feed them a couple different times and so far so good.

If anyone else has tried these some input would be great. Im still trying to find some Info on there Nutritional value. I belive ive seen that most Fly Larvea have the same Values but then again phoenix worms are Black Soldier FlyLarvea and have a huge amounts of Cal so you never know.

butterworms.com does sell spikes and says there good feeders bt doesnt give muvh info. heres a link
    http://www.butterworms.com/page_9.htm

13. WEirdMaN

WEirdMaN Embryo

they arent bad they just needed to be salted (dusted with vitamins but salt to my leo). yah a very cheap and usable feeder only prob is they turn fast.well if anyone has a prob plz post it here. cuz if somthing bad happens im going to take my leo off of them.

14. shadi26

shadi26 New Member

i just went by what it said at the top.. really any fly larvae is usually pretty good for them

15. Blankminded

Blankminded Member

Hey weirdman have you tried giving them to ur tree frogs or slider? I have a baby painted turtle and he loves them. Ive only gave him about 2 or 3 at different time so far. he likes them as a treat and seems fine aswell.

16. WEirdMaN

WEirdMaN Embryo

my sliders dont pay any attention to em they like live crickets and fish and these turtle pelets and my frog loves em they eat them all 2 at a time no problems at all so far

17. Blankminded

Blankminded Member

thats cool that ur frogs like them. i think im gonna keep these guys as something different for them but wont use them as a staple. just something else to feed them so they wont get tired of the same ol worm.

18. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

hey, thanx so much for the info on the twisters! I think i really want to order some... guess I'lll email them tomorrow :) See how my leos like em :) Anyone use them yet?

19. WEirdMaN

WEirdMaN Embryo

read the posts above i told how i used them they arent a staple but adds much more variety to your reptiles diet

20. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

sorry, thought u were still talking about the bottle fly larvea.
    Anyway.... update: insectsusa.com is and has been all out of twisters b/c they dont get them in hot weather.... so I will call back in about a month, lol.

21. GhettoGecko

GhettoGecko New Member

one problem with Spikes how do u gut load them with the good stuff before feeding? and any1 run into any problem with this feeder for your leo? like if your leo get sick from them or not whatever

22. Blankminded

Blankminded Member

its really ahrd to gut load them cuz they turn so fast. i just dust them before feeding and i dont use them as a staple. they are use as something other then mealies. As with leo's... they love them and dont get sick. well atlest my 2 didnt. i feed them all the time and have yet to have any problems.