Spence

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by PennyLane, Feb 19, 2012.

1. PennyLane

PennyLane New Member

I got this little guy today and wanted to share.

I was at the petstore today to buy worms and frozen rats, when I convinced my dad to let me bring something new home. I wanted to bring home another tarantula, but the one I wanted, the employee working there told us he was extremely agressive and spent most his time hiding out. So I decided to look at the centipedes. My dad freaked out and pointed out at a bearded dragon so I wouldn't get a centipede. :p Then I pointed at a tank with two savs in it and told him jokingly "I'd rather have one of these" and looked into the tank. And there was little Spence, looking at me with his adorable face, and I just HAD to take him out and hold him, lmao! So the guy took him out for us and he was just so sweet that I bought him on impulse.

I already knew basics about them, like that they needed lots of room, and they're carnivores, etc. I got home and researched as much as I could but of course, I'm still learning.

Anyway, here's the little bugger. I named him Spence, after underoath's lead singer, Spencer Chamberlain. I might change his name (it's only been like, 10 times now...lmao!) but for now I think it's sticking.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll get some better pictures tomorrow after I change his substrate out and re-do his tank. :)

Cammy, lizardgurl87 and JEFFREH like this.
  2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Spence is adorable = )

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Karlee

Karlee Member

You're telling me your not rich but you have all these animals... How is that possible? Is your dad in the NFL or something?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I don't think income is a very important factor to consider when meeting someone; its better to appreciate the keeper's animals and the care they provide for them. Someone with a low income can be fully able to provide for the needs of their animals just as well as someone who is wealthy - Example: I choose not to have a fancy phone or dataplan, and I can live without cable. That's an easy $100 a month I can spend on my hobby: Herpetoculture = )

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. PennyLane

PennyLane New Member

Exactly what jeffreh said. :) Whenever I get money, I set it aside for my animals. It's very rare that I'll spend any money on myself at all, but I don't mind it. :)

Cammy likes this.
  10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

he's a great looking animal!

12. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

That's awesome! I wish I could just go to the store and pick out an animal more often! :p And I would if I had more set-ups to put them in. You said you looked at cantipedes-and you must mean millipedes, since they're the one's most kept as pets and cantipedes are the creepy, small little bugs you find outside :confused: Common mistake though, since I have a millipede and my mom always calls it centipede :) I could see how they would freak people out-like when I showed a video of it crawling to my family lol-the sad thing is in just the last few days mine hasn't been doing that good :( I gave him some fresh food yesterday and he started to eat it, but this morning he might be dead...it does suck arachnids don't live as long and I've only had him for a few months.

13. PennyLane

PennyLane New Member

And oh haha thanks for correcting me. However looking at pictures, I think it might of been a centipede. >< I think it was a something blue centipede. It had the nasty big legs and everything haha. That's what turned me off wanting one of them, I wanted a millipede.

But I'm sorry to here that. :( I hope he's alright.

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  14. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

Let me just give you some pic references 1st lol
    [​IMG]
    These are millipedes(more commonly sold) :)
    [​IMG]
    and *shudder* centipede lol :confused:

Ya, he isn't looking to good :( I got him at a reptile show from a guy who never has animals in the best condition, but he was the only one selling them and I never see them sold anywhere else. He wasn't that much and I tried to save him though-I hate it when stuff like this happens (n)