sorry if this is a bit unothordox...

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by toxicontrol, Feb 10, 2004.

1. toxicontrol

toxicontrol Embryo

im just a 15 year old girl, but ive liked snakes for as long as i can remember. although ive never had one, ive always enjoyed them. this kid in my class is selling his cornsnake for $50. its a brown jungle cornsnake. i dont know much about snakes, so i was wondering if anyone would like to help me out. im low on cash... i might just barely be able to scrape up $50... my dad is really good at making stuff, so does anyone know a quick way to make a reliable cage?? see the thing is that the kid needs to sell the snake by the end of the week. and my dad wont let me buy it unless im fairly educated as to how to care for it and have a fairly good idea of how to make a cage and what is necessary for one. i guess you could call me somewhat desperate.... help please!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Keeping any animal is going to cost far more than the actual purchase price. Don't worry, corn snakes are pretty common and come along all the time, for very good prices. I've seen normal, albino & snow corn snakes for as low as $20 online and at shows (sometimes even less).

A hatchling corn snake can live happily in a 10 gallon tank (about $8-10 from your local pet store) til it's at least a couple of ft long.

I would suggest waiting, don't rush into getting this snake, and have a good read of the care sheets here, and on other websites.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lacerta

lacerta Member

Thats good you are trying to get information and a cage BEFORE getting the snake. If I were you and was strapped for cash I would opt to keep the cornsnake in one of those plastic storage containers like they sell at Walmart or any of the big superstores. I guess for a corn all you would need would be a sweater sized storage container. Rubbermaid is one brand, Sterilite is another. These containers cost no more than $5 and lots of folks successfully keep snakes in them. Just have your dad drill some ventilation holes in the top and around the sides. That would take care of the housing issue until you can put together something different (if you really think you need to). A ten gallon aquarium with a tight fitting screen top would be another good option. How big is the corn? 10 gal aquariums go for about $8.50, screen top will cost a few more bucks. Good luck. George

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Most corns do sell cheap even in petstores. So I wouldn't worry about missing the oppurtunity. I would get some books about corns and read up on it a little. Then consider housing options. A 10 gallon tank would be good for a young snake, just like everyone else already said. You can build a cage but that can end up being more expensive in the end depending on what you end up building. Plus you need to consider heating, lighting, food, substrate. All that adds up. if I were you, I'd read up on it a bit, then buy a cheaper cornsnake somewhere else and use the rest of the money to help outfit the cage.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. toxicontrol

toxicontrol Embryo

thanks all of you that replied. i think ill wait since everyone is of the consensus that they are cheap. so now all i need to know about are heating and lighting. ive looked up about feeding but any info on that would help as well. thanks

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. drewlowe

drewlowe New Member

A good book to start off with would be "The Corn Snake Manual" by Kathy Love.

12. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Great book, I highly recommend it. I had the opportunity to speak to Kathy Love at a couple of the Tampa shows over the past 2 or 3 years. She's an absolute wealth of information when it comes to corn snakes (and colubrids in general), and her book certainly reflects this.