Son got a crested

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by Sobe, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Sobe

Sobe New Member

My son was given a crested gecko yesterday. It is just a normal buckskin/dalmation and is approx 2.5 inches snout to vent. How do I sex this little lizard? because he has decided he wants to buy a couple more and breed them. I have read the males have a hemi bulge and looking at this one I am not sure if its male or female. Anyone have pics of both or I could post a pic later tonight as I am at work at the moment.

Little lizards make me nervous lol, I'm a monitor slave.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

If it is only 2.5 inches you can't tell yet. Do you know the age? You'll have to wait till it is about 6 months - this is when most males will get the bulge, although some are earlier and some are later.

Also you shouldn't breed till the gecko is 12 months. (females should be around 35 grams). And you would have to keep them apart untill they are that 12 months of age.

I'll try to get pictures up of both if no one else has them on hand.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Sobe

Sobe New Member

No idea on the age, kids friend gave it to him because it was "stupid and boring". it is 2.5 inches snout to vent maybe 2.6, so maybe 4 inches with tail

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

Yea they need to be atleast 3 inches snout to vent to take a guess at the sex. If you can get some good pics up we may be able to give you a guess as to male or female.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. field_hockey_gal

I figure he/she is about 4 months old. This sound about right for anyone else that has had a young crestie?
    Post some pictures, if anything I'm sure everyone would like to see the gecko.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. D_Money

D_Money New Member

don't just get a bunch of them because he wants to breed them, watch how he takes care of them and wait a while and see if he's going to even be able to take care of the one he has.

12. BigZ3788

BigZ3788 Well-Known Member

Stupid and boring!? That kid must have add or someone got it for him not knowing of caring that it was nocturnal. And yes it is too young to sex.

13. Sobedrummer007

Sobedrummer007 New Member

No kidding BigZ3788, he must have had add. You can usually sex them when they are 6-9 months old. Sometimes you can sex males when they are 4 months old. Females must be at least 12 months old and wiegh 35 grams to breed. And like $D$_Money$ said, don't just get a bunch of them because he wants to breed them, watch how he takes care of them and wait a while and see if he's going to even be able to take care of the one he has.

Here are some pics of MY gecko and her enclosure.
    [​IMG]
    Females also have bulges, but they are much smaller that the male bulges. But as you can see their are no bulges at all. So my gecko is still too young to be sexed.

Also here is a pic of her enclosure, which provides her with climbing areas to meet her arboreal needs.
    [​IMG]

Also crested geckos change shades of colors alot, from day to night.

Day
    [​IMG]

Night
    [​IMG]

Also for care a breeding info i definately recommend the book Rhacodactlyus:the complete guide to their care and selection It is pretty much the crested gecko bible.

14. field_hockey_gal

Ok, so here is the male and one of the females in the house.

The male:
    [​IMG]
    You can somewhat see the bulge at the base of the tail. (It's not that noticable)

One of my females:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see she has no bulge. It's kinda blurry because I had just misted.

If your son can take care of the gecko and wants to breed, just beware that you will most likely have to set up two more enclosures. One for the male and one for the female. Females need a rest period so they don't get burned out from laying eggs. So you would need to seperate them. And then another enclosure for the hatchlings.

If you don't mind me asking - why does he want to breed them?

15. Sobe

Sobe New Member

son's crested

He wants to breed them because he is into all the aspects of keeping herps.
    Not worried about him caring for the cresty or breeding them. This in not his first herp, he has 2 beardies and 8 leopard geckos (he has successfully bred the leopards numerous times).

He also has me if he runs into problems. I have bred my iguana's several times (my male I have had for 13 years and my female for 6 years). I also keep a black throat monitor and 4 red tail boas.

16. KJE

KJE Embryo

Sobedrummer007 - Where did you get those suction cup hooks? Did they come with the plants?

17. field_hockey_gal

Well, you both seem know what you are doing. But you will have to seperate the male and female, and will need another enclosure for the hatchlings.

Can you post a picture of the gecko maybe?

18. Sobedrummer007

The plants are exo-terra brand so the suction cups came with them. They have been haning in the tank since july 12 and haven't fallen yet. However i had to go to the hardware store to get suction cups for the vine. Also i had to get an ax to chop it down to the length i wanted cause there is a metal wire in there that makes the vine rebendable.

19. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

My male somewho managed to knock his vine off last night. The only time we have had any problem with them coming off is when we haven't gotten the suction cups wet first. They are great plants.

20. Sobe

Sobe New Member

here are the pics of my son's cresty

I tried to get some different views of it also of its vent/tail area
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh had to throw in a pic of my favorite baby
    [​IMG]

21. field_hockey_gal

Very nice crestie! It's hard to tell from the pictures but it may be a male. Don't quote me on it though!
    You baby is very nice. Big, but very nice.

For some reason I can't see the 3 and 4th picture you have.

22. Sobedrummer007

Can't really tell yet. To be sure you will have to wait till it gets older. Nice monitor though :) What kind is it?

23. Sobe

Sobe New Member

pics

The pictures that were missing were deleted as they were blurrier than the ones you saw. The monitor is my baby, her name is Sobe she is a black throat monitor. She is only 38 inches and 5 and a 1/2 pounds so she has a long way to go. She will probably be 60-72 inches and 20-30 pounds when she grows up lol.

24. crusty1

crusty1 Member

only 38" lol...wow thats big...what do u keep it in??

25. D_Money

D_Money New Member

Some sort of mansion I presume.