some pics today

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by varanidfan, Mar 20, 2005.

1. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

now that is a true whitethroat. very hard to find true WT. most are BT sold as whites. nice ackie too

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

true whitethroat

yes it is a whitethroat, locale speciffic to a small range in south africa. These are known as banded cape whitethroats, and im fortunate enough to have two pairs of them. here is a picture of a regular whitethroat for comparrison. the pic is of a regular whitethroat (on top) and a blackthroat male (bottom) big difference between all three.
    thanks
    scott

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

cant see any pics in the last post. how much did each of your white cost you?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. dino&geico

dino&geico Embryo

cool white throats how big are they?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

oops forgot to post the pic........

i forgot to post the pic when i did that post, but as far as cost, they cost alot, the regular whitethroats run around 250-300 which is in the picture in this post, and the banded whitethroats run about 350+ for babies, i bought mine as adult pairs so i paid a considerable amount more than that. They are a fun species, alot of gusto, and personality, all in all my favorite of all time. Full grown my bandeds are 38" for the female, and 49" for the male, they stay alot smaller than regular whitethroats, due to locality of colder climates and less food availability.
    [​IMG]

12. ryzard

ryzard New Member

very nice wt.

13. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

Wow whats that last one in the first set of pictures you sent? Its so cute!

14. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

the last one is an adult red ackie.

15. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

well actually..........

it is an ackie, although it is not an adult and its not a red ackie, it is an august 04 baby, from pete weis's high contrast line of yellow ackies. That particular juvenile is about 12" long, i have had it for about three mos now.
    here is another pic of her
    [​IMG]
    here are some of my adult red ackies
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

sorry about that, from the pic it lookd around 3ft. the new pics actually show the yellow tint, are those pure bred or were they crossed with red? they have some pretty dark coloring. that last one looks fiesty

17. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

ackies

my adult yellows are barely 14", not big at all, ackies can reach 24+ but its a rarity. the little yellows were selectively bred over 12 yrs or so for that coloration, not crossed, they were bred for brightness and contrast between the light and the dark, they are very cool looking as adults. All the other ones, including the one biting my hand are pure reds.
    They were a bit freaked out and bitey for the first few days after i brought them home from buying htem, all of them bit me several times, but have since calmed down after adjusting to their new cage. the yellows are super calm, while the reds are a tad flighty, totally different personalities.

18. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

I was thinking about an ackie but thats too small....

19. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

you breed ackies? if you do where are you located and how much?

20. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

ok

i was the same way, ackies suck, theya re too small tehy dont do anything, then i found an awesoe deal on a whole colony, actually two colonies, four yellows and four reds, so i sad what the heck adn gave em a try. they are right there with my albigs as my favorites they are so fun and awesome to llearn from as they exhibit all monitor behaviour and some, plust they were breeding two days after i brought them home. they are so cool to watch, handle, feed, etc etc, very high energy, but not flighty and scared.
    I am going to offer my yellow babies at 125 ea, and my reds at 200-250 each, i am located in baltimore MD. I havent seen my reds doing anything yet, my yellows are always at it t hough and should have some by the end of the summer as she is gravid right now.
    small monitors are great, especially when people want big monitors but cannot commit to taking care of all their needs, caging, food, heat, etc it is alot to deal with as i have 4 full grown whitethroats, and one 4ft and still growing male blackthroat, plus the 8 ackies, that is about an hour to two hours a day in maintenance and up keep.

21. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

Re: ok

I am intrested in your yellow babies when they hatch :D PM Me when they after they hatch and when youl be selling them.

22. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

Does it take a lot to care for an Ackie? Ive given up on a black throat no matter how cute it looks. Im going to college in about 3 years and i have to concider that i will have to take my pets with me. An Ackie seems good. Stays really small. Just i go away most weekends and something like an Ackie needs to be fed every day and taken out correct?

23. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

What kind of cage (In gallons if possible) Will house them? Also i saw it biting you...Dosnt that hurt??

24. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

they dont really need to be taken out, if the cage is big enough and if you dont mind them not being tame. here is the best caresheet you will find for them http://proexotics.com/care_ackie.html

25. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

na it dont hurt

its cute when they bite, like a sign of affection........lol they were all rattled up because of shipping and all that they calmed down a few days later. I hate care sheets even pro exotics ones.....lol they get you started but caging feeding handling cleaning etc all is up to you and your particular animal in general. Every one will tell y ou that they need 4x2x2 cages for a pair, and the more room the better blah blah blah. You can comfortably and successfully keep a pair in a 29L gal aquarium, by successfully i mean see breeding and get and hatch eggs, its very common, if you are going to keep them in bigger than pair groups than yes it would be a good idea to have a larger cage, but one to two animals would be fine in a 29gal fish tank with a modified lid to keep in heat and moisture. You can feed every day, or not, i feed every otehr day or so, or when i think about it really...lol these are very low maint pets and are easier than dirt to care for as long as you have the right temps, which you can get from the PE caresheet. I feed my adults every couple of days, but usually its a decent proportion meal, and my females cycle just fine. i feed the smaller ones every day as they are more active and still growing, but this only consists of a hand full of crix or so, nothing too dramatic. If you ever have to go away for a week or a weekend, just turn off the heat and leave them at room temps they will calm down and not require any food. I dont hold my ackies, they arent mean, but kinda squirmy, none of them has offered to bite now acclimated.
    Im a big monitor guy, and i bought the ackies just to see what teh hype was all about, everything everyone tells you about them is absolutey true, tons of fun i n a small package. I keep albigs too and its hard to pick a favorite.
    take care
    scott