some n00b questions

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by reptile_Enthusiast, Jan 26, 2007.

1. reptile_Enthusiast

reptile_Enthusiast New Member

So, My girlfriend has been wanting to get some frogs, I'm a reptile guy and I have lizards and what not, But i've been thinking about expanding my collection out to some frogs, Maybe jsut a few as long they can be housed together. Enclosures are not a problem, Whatever I need I can get. Om that note, Which do you recommend?
    I was looking at some red eye or just some original green trees.

Any ideas? Also, Upon a recomendation maybe also direct me to some caresheets to read up on their needs before they're purchased?

Any help would be appriciated.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. reptile_Enthusiast

I've been looking at custom setups.

I'm thinking of running an aquarium with a underground filtration system. Where the pump sucks up and then on the output hook up to some sort tube conntected to a waterfall which pumps down a little stream back into the water. I have a few ideas, But i'm curious how much water is needed for the frogs and what size tank, I'm looking at like a 20gallon tall tank for 2 frogs or so, I liked the idea of standing the aquarium on the side but then a majority of the bottom would be water. I'm not sure.. ANy ideas would be appriciated. :lol:

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. reptile_Enthusiast

Intresting, I've been doing some research, I've read that tree frog don't need a body of water more like a shallow pond like enviorment. I think I may need to rethink this and debate wether to get a frog that meets what I would like, Or just decide to make the setup to the frog I want (RETF) requierments... Hmmm...

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. croc_gator_rebeccak3

croc_gator_rebeccak3 Well-Known Member

if you keep to that set-up you could get fbt toads or you can go more to the RETF . a 20 gallon can house 4-5. nice easy hardy little toads to start off you frog collection :) in the wild they live my river steams or beds and bamboo forests in korea (oreintals) but european breeds are just sthe same, but without the bamboo. so moving water is a nice set-up. you could research on them and see if you like themi got them and my mother went crazy over them... she thinks thye so cute with their barking nad chirping.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. reptile_Enthusiast

Alright, When you say a 20 gallon is fine, Are you talking about regular or on end? I have a 29 gallon tall tank.
    That should be ok regular with a screen top correct?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. reptile_Enthusiast

Ok, So, Here's my plan.
    I'm going to run pvc in the corners and middle to support that plaxtic eggcrate stuff. then run screen over that, then gravel, then some eco earth or some type of top soil and then moss. I've read this is ok.
    Now, I also plan on running a waterfall with a pump. Do I need this water to run right into a pool of water or could I have it run through the dirt, filter through the screen into the bottom (where the pump is) and back up the through the pump?
    This would me the dirt would always be wet keeping humidity up but maybe causing other problems.

Also, If I run the egg crate does the substrate need to be just above the water or sitting in the water?

12. reptile_Enthusiast

Ok, So i've found another site. Says, put the water just below the egg crate that way rot don't occur. Got that under control then, Also as for the water going through the soil, I'm assuming if th ey say don't keep the substrate wet cause of rotting, then this isn't a good idea. I must think of another way to run my waterfall and stream.

13. Leona&Amy

Leona&Amy Well-Known Member

It sounds like you have some great ideas going on there! I can't wait to see the end results! If you decide you like frogs and branch out full on I really recommend White's tree frogs. I've had Fressie for a while now and s/he's my first frog (I mostly have experience with lizards). Here's a pic

[​IMG]

14. reptile_Enthusiast

Aw, I'm at work now and they filter out alot of URL's. That seems to be one so I can't see it. I'll have to look when I go home or to a friends.
    I was looking at WTF, I kinda like the more exotic look of a RETF. I'm not sure. It's still up in the air, I 've noticed the setups are almost the same so I'm just going to get everything setup and running little by little and then decide which frogs would be better for me!

I have a 29Gallon tank, Waterfall, Shark filter, Guage and and some PVC. Just looking for some plastic egg crate now. I read somewhere that homedepot's lighting section should have some.
    It's all coming together. Slowly but shurely.. ;)

15. reptile_Enthusiast

Outta curiosity, Is there any way to make the water green? Like to get a more natural look oppose to having nice looking water all the time?
    Can any dye be added that is non toxic or maybe some type of paper under the pond spot?

Also, What can be stored in the water at all time without growing algy or anything around it?

16. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

Give it some time and your pond will turn greenish brown from the substrate leaking into it.