SO..... I'm Looking into a Monitor.....

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by Target Sherwood, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Target Sherwood

Target Sherwood Embryo

So whats everyone's opinion on different Species of monitors.... favorites.... least favorites why you like or dislike the ones you like or dislike

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Lacie Vitzthum

Lacie Vitzthum New Member

I like savannahs but whatever you do don't go to underground reptiles for one!

Joel Lowe likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Target Sherwood

Target Sherwood Embryo

LOL O I Got Several People an Places That I Trust to look at...

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Joel Lowe

Joel Lowe New Member

i too like savannahs they dont get that big so for a first time monitor it would be my choice. from dealing with my igg who was 5 feet plus. big reptiles cost big bucks, i have no idea how much i put into that igg but it had to be over 5000 in cageing first and then his monster cage ( that he ripped apart i might add) and lighing and food i also ten to go crazy with my reptile stuff but for the most part i would go savannah

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Target Sherwood

Target Sherwood Embryo

yeah I've had a Couple Of Monitors... The Size and Expenses aren't my Concern.... I'm Just Curious What everyone's got an why...... or why not... I know every Monitor Is Different and has a different Personality.... I'm highly educated in this inedeavor... Just Mostly Curious

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Lacie Vitzthum

Lacie Vitzthum New Member

I don't have a water monitor but i have heard that they make great large pets, basically a cold blooded dog!

12. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

I'd say Ackie's-there's an article on them in the December issue of reptiles magazine-and they seem pretty good tempered-they call them the easiest to manage. I've also seen tree monitors and they're pretty cool :)

13. BP36

BP36 New Member

ive had several monitors, and it all comes down to you. if you want something small that can be not handled often a small tree monitor in a tall enclosure would be good. if you want to be more interactive with your monitor and have a 10x8x6 space for an enclosure, i would suggest a savannah or blackthroat monitor. with regular interaction and handling you can have an almost dog-like reptile. Now, if you have thrill issues and want a challenge you wont back down from, i'd say go for a nile,argus,water, or croc monitor. Generally they are aggressive in nature and though they can be tamed with alot of effort, some never do and i say that they are good for thrill seekers because , imagine a 9 foot all muscle male nile monitor, with a temper and displaying territorial defense. then imagine that you need to get to the otherside of the 20x13x8 enclosure to repair a fallen branch . it will make a man out of you.......

14. lwwest

lwwest New Member

I am personally fond of black throats and white throats. They are large and easy to tame down easily and their diet is basic. They utilize ground space, which is the only con in my mind... but, overall great animals!

15. Karlee

Karlee Member

I perfer Bosc Moniters, just because of how tame they are.