So I was thinking: Crestie Gecko?

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by bL00dEd_h00diE, Jul 13, 2005.

1. bL00dEd_h00diE

bL00dEd_h00diE New Member

Before I really wanted an iguana later on but now I'm totally into the cresties. So, can you guys help me out? Ant suggestion on how to handle them is completely appreciated! :wink:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. crestedreptile546

crestedreptile546 New Member

do you mean how much you can hold them, you shouldnt handle cresties under 4 months and you dont want to grab their tails, it will not grow back, they can be handled probably 2 times a day, i just usually put my finger under its mouth then have it i get it on my hand, they're easy to handle and most cresties are very calm, they'll usually crawl(or jump) from hand to hand, they can land very easily and if they do get loose they arent very fast, i havent ever had my crestie jump to the ground and most won't try to get away

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bL00dEd_h00diE

lol well there's good news ^^

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bL00dEd_h00diE

If my friend Biana has a crested and a leo should I get both or would that me a little too much since I'm a beginner?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bL00dEd_h00diE

Bianca* sorry o//o;;

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

I would start out with just one species first (cresties and leo's have very different housing and feeding requirements)... it doesn't make sense to get multiple species just because someone else has... choose one, and become a good care-giver for that one first, then grow from there... you may want more of the same species, or branch out (maybe even change) to a different species... then again, you may find you can't continuosly devote the time to look after them, and want none (after the novelty has worn off)... these little guys live in the 10 year range... do you feel you can care for one (or many) for the next ten years?

I would also do my research first, before making a purchase, so you know what you're getting yourself in for, and can setup properly... the last thing you need is a gecko in hand, and now idea how/where to keep it or feed it...

Do a google search for the species name and "caresheet" (ie "crested gecko caresheet", or "rhacodactylus ciliatus care sheet")... this should give you several to read, and you will see that some have more info than others, and it may vary a little, but you will be able to see what's common, and the basic requirements...

12. bL00dEd_h00diE

Well apparently I wouldn't be thinking or getting one if I had no idea about them so of course I did research on them and won't stop and I researched on both leos and cresties and I realize they have different temp and humidity requirements. Please don't view me as an immbecile @.@

13. bL00dEd_h00diE

and I knew that if I were to get both they'd need to be in seperate tanks not in the same one. And I thought to get both b/c I'm interested in them from what I've read not b/c someone else did it. I'm not one to copy that way. Thats stupid.. >>

14. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

I say make sure you have evrything in order before getting your crestie. We have had ours for 6 months now and are geeting a second species (corn snake). I think if we had tried to take care of two different species off the bat we would have been completely lost.

As for handling as mentioned above don't handle under 4 months if your parinoid of losing the tail. It doesn't frow back and we were so the end result, the two we got at 6 weeks of age run away from us now at 6 months. The only one of our four that I can handle still doesn't volountarily go onto my hand I pretty much have to pick her up. But once on she will walk or jump from hand to hand always trying to get onto the leaves in the enclosure. Which leads me to a question of my own. The last two times I have handled her she has decided to poop on me. Any reason why? Before I had no problem.

Read the care sheets, get Rhacodactylus a complete guide to their selection and care and read it. It has tons of useful info. Other than that have everything set up ahead of time and make sure your temps are good. Room temp is fine for them aslong as you keep your house at normal room temp.

15. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

That I am not...

From your first and third post, you offer none of the information that you just have, as to your level of knowledge on either species... and in fact state "...I'm a beginner..."

You don't have to look very far on any of these forums to see that there are many beginners that stand in a pet shop and go "oh, that's so cute", buy a gecko, tank, bag of sand, and a water dish, then head home to play with their new pet... they then show up here with all the questions that should have been asked before the trip to the pet store...

With no other information on your situation, it would have been remiss of me to not suggest that you search the net for care sheets... and as you can see, I'm not the only one to do so...
    From my perspective, as a beginner, it would only make sense to start with only one, until both you and your pet are stable and happy...

16. Lizardo

Lizardo New Member

I got a crestie and a leo a few weeks apart; they're both easy to care for and a lot of fun. My crestie is about 5 months old and very tame. he walks around on me and on the couch and never goes more than a couple feet away, but i always watch him closely just in case. I started handfeeding him baby food a couple weeks after i got him, and i think that helped out a lot.

17. bL00dEd_h00diE

I'm sorry I probably should've mentions some hint that I know about their caring needs and that I'm fully aware of knowing to purchase the items before time. Next time around I'll mention it. But thatnks for your advice anyway, sorry if I came off the wrong way.

18. bL00dEd_h00diE

My friend Bianca says she has Leos but that they're getting sick. I don't trust it but I'll take a look see anyway. She said she wasnt too sure about having cresties, the reptiles she owns are her parent's. I'm not so confident about this but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to at least look at them and see what wrong. I've read of the sicknesses they can get and maybe if there's a cure for what they have I'll try to see if I can get them the stuff to help cure them..

19. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

Since leo's like low humidity, and you/your friend are in KeyWest (high humidity), that would likely be the first thing I'd look at, if temps, feeding, etc are all OK... I'm also in South Florida, and in our A/C'd house, we still have 50%-60% humidity (more than is good for a leo)...

I would think a crestie would be an excellent choice for a first gecko... they do well at room temperature, and don't require the added work that comes with the care of larger amounts of insects, plus they're just as friendly/handleable as leo's...

20. bL00dEd_h00diE

Yeah thats why I've been really wanting one..Thing is I'd like to have it NOW than a few years from now. I just don't really have anywhere but a couple of pet stores down here. Unless I choose to order a crestie instead which would be okay once I get the money but most important get all of the supplies up and running. Hopefully I'll figure something out, I'll check up on the Leos I hope they're okay, the poor things. And if I figure whats up I'll let the owners know so they could change it for the gecko's sake.. Anyway I'm heading for bed, if you can give me some more tips on what I should do then please feel free to let me know. Thanks, btw. And I'll see you tomorrow.

21. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

There are some herp stores in Miami, but that probably still doesn't help much...
    It took me quite a while to find a herp store that was reasonably close, and although it's a good one, I will likely be getting all my stuff off the net (better prices)...
    If you don't like the idea of shipping a crestie long distances, I can recommend a good private crestie breeder here in S. Florida... Sticky Feet Exotics

22. bL00dEd_h00diE

*eats snacks* o_O
    Bianca should be calling me back later, I had to leave a message.

23. BoyntonStylez

BoyntonStylez Member

We're in West Palm and we don't seem to have a problem with humidity, too - too bad. We also have a room devoted to the reptiles with all of the proper setups and supplies. The only ones not in the reptile room are the breeding pair of cresteds, my bloods ruby and ruben, and baby sancho (pb) and baby starlet. We wanted to keep the Leo's and Beardeds together because of their low humidity needs. (So the reptile room really consists of the nine leopard geckos, two bearded dragons, the gravid crested gecko, her one baby [thus far], the bp sasha, and the red tail echo). Although, it is important to mention that the crested geckos and the leopard geckos are *not* near each other, as are not the bd's and the cresteds. (The BD's heat is too much for the crested geckos obviously), and the snakes are in the closet.

I agree with Bryan, in S. Fl the cresteds are the easiest to take care of. Spray 'em down once or twice a day and they just hang out. We also have our cresteds in screen (fresh air habitats).

But please NOTE: **** Do not keep your crested gecko outside. Our heat is too much for them!!! *****

24. BoyntonStylez

BoyntonStylez Member

Sticky feet is where we got Luna from. They are awesome! (Haha, I didnt realize there were two pages.)

25. bL00dEd_h00diE

Bianca hasn't called me back yet since I left a message this morning. I suppose I'll wait or if she doesn't call back tonight I'll call her tomorrow. I'm really curious as to whats wrong with the Leo's and starting to feel a bit bad for 'em too.