smallest monitor\tegu? & easiest to tame?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by loyaluntodeath, Aug 21, 2006.

1. loyaluntodeath

loyaluntodeath New Member

hello all, im interested in monitors as a future project...
    i'd like to know the smallest size (name + full grown length) and the tamest (name + full grown length)

any and all info is apreciated :(

im an information hog so just throw it out! :(

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mr~python

mr~python Member

none, monitors are not "tame" animals and you cannot "tame" them. you can make them handleable but only when they want to interact with you.

the smallest monitor is varanus brevicauda.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. loyaluntodeath

let me clarify - tame meaning will not try to aggressivly bite my head off every time it see's me :( and preferably somthing small enough so that if it does choose to go that rout im not going to be killed :(
    cheers

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Z_Tous

Z_Tous New Member

Yellow/Red Acanthurus Monitors is probably what your looking for. I don't have any experience with them but I've heard absolutely nothing but good things. There length usually maxes out at around two feet.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Dillons_Dragons

Dillons_Dragons New Member

The smallest most commonly available monitor on the market is either Varanus Acanthurus or Varanus Acanthurus Brochyurus (Red and Yellow Ackie). But it's gonna cost you. Reds are normally between 250-350$ and Yellows are normally between 15-250$. If you want something that's tame, get a bearded dragon. If you want something that is handleable, get an ackie. Also, you may want to check out this website. http://forums.kingsnake.com/view.php?id=1110696,1110696

Dillon

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Dimebag_Disciple

Dimebag_Disciple Embryo

Ackies would are great small monitors to own but as others have said, they tend to be a bit pricey.

If you are looking for a tegu I would say get an Argentine Black and White tegu. These top out at about 4 feet for males, a little bit smaller for females. Usually priced around 70 for hatchlings. They are smart and very personable. Some are even known to be dog "tame". Responding to clicker training and being called by their name.
    Nothing is more rewarding than a tame Tegu. Although, adults do require a cage minimum of 8x3x3 and humidity should be closely monitored.
    I myself have a Arg. Red tegu. These tend to be more expensive starting around $200.
    Here is a good link to get tegu info www.thetegu.com

Both the Ackies and Tegu can be docile, there are always a few cases where they can't be tamed down but in general are calm if handled regularly.

Ackies:
    Pros: small
    Cons: price

Blk/Wht Tegu
    pros: great tempermant (with proper handling)
    cons: adults require a 8x3x3 cage, humididty requirements

12. mr~python

mr~python Member

some other pros to ackies are they're very active, very fun to watch, and very rewarding. dont let the high price scare you from them. they are a way cheaper monitor in the long run, because they're cheaper to maintain.

13. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

ACKIES FTW!!!! I think I'm going to lean more into the bigger monitors next year. I'm getting 1.1 Breeder Water Monitors (both around 7ft.) next spring.

14. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

Whoa! water monitor? I saw a nile water monitor on TV and this thing was HUGE i mean it took 9 guys to catch it so they could exam it. There lightning fast for there size too. Definatly something that can kill ya. If not the severeness of the bite the bacteria and toxins growing in its mouth will.

15. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

I doubt it could kill you, but a wild caught monitor isn't going to be friendly in any way. Niles max out at about 6 feet. The water monitor at the zoo here is around 10 1/2.

16. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

Niles max out at 6 feet? http://www.proexotics.com/care_water.html According to that regular water monitors max at six feet. Niles get to be around 11-16 feet from what i beleive. And how would u think a monitor couldnt kill you? a quick grab onto ur throat would easly kill you. Let a lone a 10ft monitor that can bit your arm off.

17. mr~python

mr~python Member

wow, 11-16 feet for a nile?? hmmm.

18. dreyer1

dreyer1 New Member

i thought komodo dragons were the biggest lizard at a max of 10ft or more.

19. mr~python

mr~python Member

they are.

20. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

There is no way a nile can get 10 ft. I have kept a nile for 10 years, and it never got over 5 ft. Sure they say it is common for water monitors to get 6 ft, as that is the average length. They get bigger. The Kommodo Dragon Averages 10 ft., and it is not rare to see a 12 or 13 ft. animal.

21. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

niles usually max out at 6 and can possibly hit 7 feet. water monitors can hit up to between 7-10 feet. komodo dragons are considered the largest monitor because they are the heaviest, but if you are talking overrall length then you are looking for a crocodile monitor which can easily hit 13feet.

22. ArchimedesArtifex

ArchimedesArtifex Member

Croc, that's what I meant....lol

23. crocdoc

crocdoc New Member

There's never been an authenticated record of a croc monitor over 10 feet (in fact, I don't even know if there are any authenticated records of them over 9 feet). The 13 and 14 footers you hear of are like the 50 foot pythons and 28 foot saltwater crocodiles - fantasies.

24. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

And back to the original question..... I have an argentine black and white tegu, and although I haven't had him long, they are a really great animal. I saw one at the last reptile expo. We were looking at getting a sav, but when we saw the argentines, and held one, we were in love! If you are looking at getting a first-time, bigger lizard, I think the argentines are a great choice (not to be confused with the less docile, columbian black and white tegus). ;)

25. loyaluntodeath

AWSOME thanks for the option janice :) and the discusion was...interesting to say the least everyone else lol. feel free to argue on this thread! i like hearing about animals.. (information hog that i am!) so...yep!