Small fountain in Beardie's tank?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Scales2500, May 18, 2009.

1. Scales2500

Scales2500 New Member

I am wondering if a small fountain in a 40 range gallon tank with a Beardie would be acceptable. I know that humidity is a large factor, and I know what most people will think of "fountain", like some big waterfall. (I used to have one of those, and it will not be like that) I want to make it part fountain, part climbing area, which I think might be a cool idea. It will fit in the cool area of the tank, also giving him a nice spot to lay, climb, and drink. Would this be okay? By small fountain, I mean the water goes up about maybe 5-6'' max. (So it would be a nice little "tinkle", not a splash)

[​IMG]
    (Not exactly what I had in mind, but make this 6" tall and it's similar)

My other question is, I was planning on using a plaster mix to create the rock, does anyone know what water would to to this? (After setting, of course)

EDIT: Maybe like this, except desert-themed?
    http://www.artsbali.com/imagesbarang/small-fountain1.jpg

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kephy

kephy Moderator

Well, the problem is not only humidity, but bacteria.

Beardies are not necessarily clean (although I've heard some can be trained to use the bathroom in the same spot every day) for the most pert they "go" wherever they please. Especially given the rather small size of the enclosure (40gallon being the absolute minimum size for a beardie), they may go in the fountain itself, or if you don't clean their mess immediately they may step in it and then walk through the fountain water. Either way, unless you have one of the aforementioned "trained" beardies and are able to clean it's mess immediately, the fountain can and will easily become a prime breeding ground for bacteria.

It would have to be treated as any type of water dish: removed, cleaned, and replaced daily. For a running fountain, this would be even more of a chore than cleaning a water dish daily.

And all of this is assuming it doesn't raise the humidity of the tank to undesired levels.

Personally, I think it would be a lot more trouble than it's worth. And as I mentioned your tank isn't very large to begin with, so it would be taking up space your beardie could be using to move around comfortably.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Scales2500

Scales2500 New Member

I see what you mean. Are they attracted to moving water to "go in"? Since I will be making the fountain, I want to make it so he can't go running in the pool of water, just big enough so he can get a gulp or two. Another good thing will be that I want to be able to easily unscrew the top from the water dish, making it easier than any other fountain. (Or even a slide)
    And as for the size concerns, yes, I would say it might be a little crowded. This is why not only do I want it to be smaller than usual, (to decrease splashes, therefore humidity) I want him to be able to climb on-top of it, like any stone structure, giving him more room. I am thinking maybe 10" or less, in the corner. It should give him some space.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    I would strongly advise against any type of waterfall or fountain in a beardie tank, specially a 40g.
    The humidity would go to unacceptable levels. Beardies are desert dwellers and would not have access to such things. There is also a great risk of bacteria and mould developing.
    By all means make a rocky ledge or whatever but leave the water out.
    The best way to make rocks, ledges etc is, use styrofoam sheets cut to shape then covered in tile grout, grout must be free of anti fungal and mould agents, it can then be painted with toxin free paint and sealed with water-based eurythene varnish.
    DO NOT use normal plaster as this contains lime, which is bad for his health if he licks it.
    Water features are great in a tropical setup with high humidity, desert setups a big NO NO.
    It may look nice but your beardie's health would suffer badly.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Scales2500

Scales2500 New Member

Hmm, again, I understand. In the end, it would cost me more than I need to spend. I tried this once before ( few years ago), and did not work at all. I guess I'll leave the waterfall out of it.
    As for the plaster, technically it's "Fast Mache", which says it's non-toxic. Don't know if this makes a difference, but might as well be safe.
    Before I got the waterfall idea, I figured on the cool side, I would make a small visible shaded area, big enough for him to lay down. Ontop of that would be the stone structure, with some decorative plants, or driftwood.
    As for paint, do you know a brand that sells a non-toxic paint? I'll look into the varnish.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Ryan1990

Ryan1990 Well-Known Member

I personally don't think the humidity would be a big problem as I've read from Cheris's topics that beardies have quite a range in environement in the wild and a humidity of about 50% is good and I can't see a little fountain raising humidity over this (if tank is well vented, eg mesh lid). However the bacteria would be a problem as said above, its like when you flush the toilet... it sprays germs all around the bathroom, and this is why we use bleach in toilets. So bacteria will grow well in the fountain and spray it around the tank so as kephy said would have to be cleaned every day.

12. stacesam1

stacesam1 Member

I agree with bruno. I don't think its really necessary to even have a water dish in the tank as dragons don't really drink. A good soak in the bath and eating lots of fruit and vegies will give your baby all he needs as far as fluids....I do also think its a pain to clean a fountain too as they get really goopy if you don't clean them daily

13. Scales2500

Scales2500 New Member

Does anyone have any pictures of homemade/store bought structures? I would like some ideas, if it would not be a bother. I appreciate the help, by the way.

EDIT: Ah-ha! I found an awesome Instructable that does exactly what I want to do! Check it out: http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-fak...or-a-reptile-c/

14. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    That "Fast Mache" sounds like ideal material to work with.
    I live in the UK so can't really help you with the paint.
    I would think any paint that kids can use will be safe.

15. beefcake

beefcake Member

in a larger tank a fountain like this would work, but in the wild they have the choice to move in and out of humid environments. in a 40 gallon it would stay humid at a constant rate, mold and residue would build up etc.

so yeah it just wouldnt be worth it

16. Scales2500

Scales2500 New Member

Yeah, that makes sense. If I ever turn my room into a habitat for my Bearded Dragon, I'll be sure to check into it ;) .

17. Ryan1990

Ryan1990 Well-Known Member

If only, that would be awesome :)
    Dont know if I'd do it for a beardie though as they'd only use the floor so your wasting all that verticle spaced... would love to do it for an iguana or something though ;).

18. stacesam1

stacesam1 Member

HMMM fast mache... never heard of that... that may be a good product for my son to use on his social studies project making the Rosetta Stone... hey.. thanks....