Skinny Bloated Leopard Gecko (Blizzard)

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Thrill, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Thrill

Thrill New Member

Please could someone help me to try and work out what is wrong with my gecko!!!!!!

Ive had her for about 3wks and had to take her back to my reptile dealer just 1wk after getting her as she kept regurgitating her food. She looks at her food, but thats about it. My dealer has tried to force feed her but she is still bringing up food. Then he decided she was dehydrated so he soaked her in water, then decided she had some kind of blockage.

She has a really skinny tail, and i dont know what it could be as im new to geckos. She looks hungry but just cant be bothered. She has a bloated tummy and has only passed a little poop in water.

At the moment she is in the capable hands of my vets who are tube feeding her. They think it may be worms but so they are going to worm her.

Ive been keeping her on paper towel as she is only about 3-4mnths old.

Any ideas as im really worried?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

I would just stay in contact with your vet. We are not going to be able to tell you more than your vet will, but yes it sounds like worms.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. shane45_1911

shane45_1911 New Member

Yep - sounds like parasites, or possibly impaction.

Let the vet do his thing. Good luck.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Thrill

Thrill New Member

Ok thanks.

Just wandering though, how could it be impaction if ive only kept her on paper? I know my reptile dealer kept her on bark while he was looking after her as he said she would be fine on it as her breeder kept her on it.

Hopefully it is only worms and not impaction!!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Whatever is wrong with your Leo it sounds like it was a pre-existing condition. Meaning it was had this problem when you bought it. This is not any fault of yours, but whoever had the leo before you did.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. PoohBear03031

PoohBear03031 New Member

It can be a food item related impaction. If your leo was fed insects that were to large for it, it can cause an impaction.

12. Thrill

Thrill New Member

Ive been giving her medium crickets, waxworms and small/medium locusts. My reptile dealer said these would be fine for her.

Her head was about half an inch in length.

13. PoohBear03031

PoohBear03031 New Member

Um, I just read your above posts again, and if your dealer was keeping her on bark then chances are he doesn't know what he is talking about. There is a very good chance that she is impacted from the bark. Wax wroms are not good as a staple feeder, they are like gecko drugs. They get addicted to them and then they won't eat anything else. They have a high fat content. Your crickets should not be any longer than the width of your geckos head. It sounds like your gecko is still quite small though, is there anyway you can post a pic of it? I can't really say what size the crickets should be unless I get a better idea of her size. I would suggest going smaller when in doubt. Hope this helps, and that your gecko gets better.

14. Thrill

Thrill New Member

Thanks for replying.

Where i havnt had her for more than a week i havnt had chance to take photos. If she makes home i will post a pic of her straight away. I think the food was too big for her but the dealer assured me that she would be fine.

Im ringing the vets tmw to see how she is so i will let you know how shes doing!!

15. gex236

gex236 Well-Known Member

Clues lead to worms more than impaction. Bark doesnt pose a huge impaction. For the most part, the pieces are too large. The problem with bark is that it holds humidity well, which isnt good for Leopard Geckos.

And medium sized crickets shouldnt pose a problem as far as impaction. They are not longer than a half inch. Even large crickets sold in pet stores are only about 3/4 of an inch. And I dont believe a few months is enough time to cause impaction even if large crickets were being used.

But, a leo that is infected in parasites shows the same signs as your leo. Skinny tail and bloated belly are two common signs that often go together. Regurgitation could be a sign of worms too.

But as Shrap stated, only your vet can say for sure. Good luck to you and your leo. Be sure to tell us how it goes :D .

16. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

The other thing that can cause lack of appetite and regurgitation is incorrect substrate temps. If it is too cool they cannot digest properly, this can make them to not eat at all because they know they can't digest it. Are you using an UTH and digital thermometer to be sure the temps on the substrate are between 88-93? Sure hope all goes well for you!

17. Thrill

Thrill New Member

Im using an UTH and have a Night and Day Dimming Thermostat (the probe is on the substrate). I havnt got a digital thermometer yet but am going to get one asap as nobody told me i needed one. My hot end temp is at 90 and my cooler end is just under 80.

If i can work out how to send pics i will show you how my tank is set up.

Thanks for everyones help, much appreciated!!!!

18. luckyherps13

luckyherps13 New Member

Sounds like endoparasites to me get a fecal to a vet quick

george

19. D00M

D00M Well-Known Member

I would just stick with the vet for now. Really sounds like some sort of parasite though.

20. Thrill

Thrill New Member

I keep phoning the vet to see how she is doing, they dont really say much, just that they are tube feeding her and that they are giving her antibiotics. Apart from that nothing has changed. They were supposed to worm her today but wont find out more about that until i ring again tmw.

Really hope shes ok, my viv looks empty without her!! :D

21. PoohBear03031

PoohBear03031 New Member

Sorry to hear that the vet isn't telling you anything. I hope you hear good news soon.

22. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

I hope your leo recovers soon!! But be sure to get an accurate diagnosis from the vet. It does sound like a preexisting condition and in that case, the breeder you got her form shld help cover your vet bills.

23. Thrill

Thrill New Member

Thanks, they still cant tell me anything apart from that she is doing fine. Have to phone again tmw and actually speak to the vet as i want to know exactly what they are doing to her.
    They did say that they wormed her but couldnt tell me if she had passed any or not.

Will let you know what i find out tmw :roll:

24. shcarisj

shcarisj Embryo

hello my leopard gecko she is not eatting but she is drinking but she can not see so she wont eat from my hand. i really dont know what to do i have check all of my books and i have tryed everything to get to her to eat but nothing seems to work.

25. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

Why can't she see? How old is she, how long has she been having eye problems and have you taken her to the vet?