Silkworms for geckos?

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by kephy, Sep 15, 2004.

1. WRENCHETTE

WRENCHETTE Member

I still say yuck!! Eggs????? Worm eggs????

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kephy

kephy Moderator

Yeah, most bugs lay eggs. LOL :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. LizardLicker21

LizardLicker21 New Member

I've never bought the eggs. Are they difficult to take care of?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. kephy

kephy Moderator

I'll let you know. Right now they're still incubating in the closet. I've got the temp just right and a wet paper towel next to them for humidity just like they said to do.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. kephy

kephy Moderator

They're hatching right now! ;) :D :D

That was easy, keeping them alive may be another story. I managed to let my container of smaller silkworms get a little too much condensation a few days ago, and I went from around 400 silkworms total to around 100. :evil:

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

uh oooo thats not too good. That has to stink, i would be soo mad. And you were so excited about the eggs hatching and now this, poopy.

12. kephy

kephy Moderator

Well, the die off happened a few days ago. I lost about $15 worth of silkworms. It really did bum me out. And to top it all off our tarantula, Calcifer, died while he was molting on that very same day. It was a bad day.

But today these eggs are hatching, and I hope they live, it will make up a lot for the ones I killed.

Also I called our tarantula breeder. After the first one died (it died from a bad molt too) he replaced it and said that this group of spiderlings were having that problem, and if this one died the same way he'd replace it, too. It's just a bummer because we'd had this one for over a month now, kinda got attached to it. ;)

Ok, I'm going off topic.

13. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Wow silworms are expensive, well about the same price as the pet stores crickets.

Awwwww! This is a horribile! Poor Calcifer! I'll give a moment of silence for it...........................................................................................

I am so sorry

14. wlowell05

wlowell05 Member

silkworms arent as expensive as butterworms but they are of good nutritional value. i have fed them to my adult leos, and they seem to like them.