Silkworms for geckos?

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by kephy, Sep 15, 2004.

1. kephy

kephy Moderator

I was given an adult Pictus about a month ago and he's been eating great on crickets. Well, I also keep bearded dragons, and I recently ordered a large shipment of silkworms in multiple sizes. I was hoping the gecko could eat these too. I know that for beardies silkworms are an excellent staple insect, better even than crickets. Does it go the same for geckos?

I just tried to give him some a minute ago. He rushed out and chomped one right away (I guess he mistook it for a waxworm.) He bit into it, stopped for a moment realizing it was different, swallowed, then ran back into his coconut and poked his head back out. Now he's just hiding there with his head half out, watching the silkworms crawl around like they are some sort of unwelcome invaders! LOL

It's really cute, but, does this mean no silkies for Nico? Is he just being timid but he'll get used to them, or am I gonna have to always keep a stash of crickets around just for him? :D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JStrider

JStrider Member

ive heard silkies are really good feeders for geckos...

ive been interested in trying them for my gecko... but havnt had a local source where i could just buy 3 or 4 to try out on her

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Smileen

Smileen Member

I agree, I have heard that they are good sources of vitamins for leos.... but I also don't have a local place to get them. My leo doesn't eat waxies, so I suspect she wouldn't eat silkies either.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. kephy

kephy Moderator

That's good to know. Of course it's be great if he would now EAT THEM. He's still just sitting in his hut observing them. :roll:

At least I have two bearded dragons who will gladly eat what he won't. :) So it's not a waste, just a pain if I still have to keep crickets around. I'm already raising hissers and silkworms, I was hoping to phase the crickets out completely. Silly me, I should have known one of these goofy critters would try to make it difficult. :D

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Gekkojoe

Gekkojoe New Member

I have read that silkworms are the most nutrional insect to feed they are about 20 % protein and aren't as fatty as waxies or as hard to digest as mealies. I would still feed crickets though, that's probably just what he's used to, plus they may just be fun to chase.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JStrider

JStrider Member

so kephy i dont suppose you live in lubbock tx and can provide me with a few silk worms? :D

12. kephy

kephy Moderator

Actually, I live in Dallas! Considering how freakin huge this state is, I'd say we're pretty close.

13. JStrider

JStrider Member

awesome... well... if i find myself in dallas anytime in the near future i'll have to toss ya a pm and maybe i can buy a couple off ya...

short of that i'll have to continue "harassing" the guy at the local reptile shop :D

14. GeckoQueen_57

GeckoQueen_57 Embryo

Where did you buy those silkies? I would love an website if you have one!

15. reako45

reako45 Member

Yeah, did you buy 'em @ a pet shop or did you order online? And how much $$?

reako45

16. kephy

kephy Moderator

I buy mine from Mulberry Farms. They are a little pricey, but the service is excellent. They always go a little above and beyond what you expect. Just this last time I placed an order and they included 200 silkworms eggs with it for free! I don't know why, I guess I just placed a big order. :D

17. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I would buy silkworms but way to expensive, I'm kinda almost broke as we speek.

As for silkworms, they are very healthy for geckos if the geckos will eat them. My crested gecko won't touch them and the leopard chooses mealworms and crickets over them all the time. Not sure why, maybe the less movement, not sure.'

If you can get your pictus to start eating them it will be good for him so go ahead and try it out. Is there any other places that sell silkworms? All i hear is mulberry farms, I'm sure they might have the cheapest and highest quality but i was just wondering if there are any other places.

18. JStrider

JStrider Member

19. kephy

kephy Moderator

Yeah, there are other places. I think one is silkwormfarms.com, they get decent reviews, and they also sell in smaller numbers I think. Problem with them is half the time I go to their website they are sold out of all but the small sized worms, which are small.

20. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Thanks much! Oh and another quetion regarding them. Do you have to get them as eggs? Because all they ever say is like 50 eggs 200 eggs. And also, has anyone tried breeding them before? I know theres a kit but is it hard or expensive? I was thinking if its a lot cheaper and becuase it would be healthier for my beardy I might try breeding but I'm not sure about price and if its easy. Sorry for the touble.

21. LizardLicker21

LizardLicker21 New Member

I use www.silkiestogo.com. Cheri has all sizes, and great prices. 100 mini silkies (1/4") are $5.50; a "large container of pre-packaged silkies" for $10 (these come with silkie food in the dish.) Also for sale on her site are "silky litter boxes," a really hygenic method of containing them. Cheri is *really* helpful with the purchases, too. I love silkWuRms! Just thought I'd share.
    Vanessa

22. kephy

kephy Moderator

You don't have to get them as eggs. I always buy them as silkworms, as I did this time. The eggs were included free I guess because I made a large order, not really sure. I've never hatched eggs before, this will be my first time if it works.

They are a little difficult to breed, from what I hear. The temp and humidity have to be just so, and the environment and food have to be kept very clean for the newly hatched worms to get past the first few critical weeks. After that all you have to do is feed them daily to keep them alive. If you want to breed them, the kit is the best thing to buy because you'll get an incubator, gloves, everything you need to maintain the sterile environment they need. It's expensive and you'll probably have some trial and error at first, but in the long run I'm sure it's worth it. I'd like to try it someday when I have the money.

23. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Oh geez just thought of something. They turn into moths don't they? Not sure if I can handle that, maybe I'll just stick to the occasional ffew I get from the guy down the street in return for a few mealys. Anyway thanks for your help everyone I really appreciate it!

24. WRENCHETTE

WRENCHETTE Member

silky eggs???? YUCK! I haven't tried them yet!

25. kephy

kephy Moderator

Why yuck?