Silkworm success!!

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by Morkai, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Morkai

Morkai New Member

Woohoo, I bought some silkies for my gecko's. Last night I left them in the tank and they were untouched this morning. I did poke one in front of one gecko and he just blatently ignored it.

Tonight however I get a worm by a strand of silk so its dangling and then dangled it under another gecko's nose. *chomp* 3 more silkies and I have a happy gecko (even took the last one from my hand).

I found the original gecko (they are so good at hiding under their leaves and I didn't want to turn the light on) and still no interest, in fact he went and hid under his bark. However I put the silkies straight on the floor in front of the entrance and left them alone, came back half hour later and the gecko has crept forwards 2 inches and is eyeing the worms. I decide to put a towel over the front of the tank and hey presto, about 20 mins later I peek through the crack and he is sitting in the middle of the worm pile chowing down :D

No more crickets for me *dances and cheers*

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. *~Amanda~*

*~Amanda~* Member

WHOOO!! congrats! lmao

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you guys. Both of my cresteds ate the silkies I offered. It's nice to be circket free, huh?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Morkai

Morkai New Member

Oh yeah.. Now I can order a bunch big time (I only got a test package of about 20) I was amazed at what size silkies vanished. One was almost 3/4" and I didn't think that one would get eaten, but I have cleaned the cage out since they got them and not a trace was to be found. Someone was a piglet ;)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

It's kind of funny to watch because my cresteds attack the worms like they're going to run away real fast and all they do is just sit there. Cresteds are quick little guys when they want to be!

I definitely like the fact there's not much of a need to worry about impaction with silkies and you can feed them off in a range of sizes if need be. I try not to make a habit of feeding silkies that my animals have to work hard to get down but sometimes when small worms aren't available this doesn't seem to cause any problems. I figure it's like eating a burrito compared to a Pizza Roll. Both are fine, one's just a little bigger and takes longer to eat.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Mine won't eat a thing but crickets. Tried silworms once but no luck. He looked at it for a sec, then turned hios nose to it. Only eats things that move a bunch. But I dont get silies that often except from a neigbor due to price.

Congrat Morkai, never considered the silk dangling technique. Maybe next time I get a few silies I'll give it a go. Lucky you, grr I'm still stuck with crickets.

12. Morkai

Morkai New Member

Heh heh, I haven't seen them hunting the worms yet - they are a shy bunch and don't like me watching to much, but I have caught them hunting crickets in the past and yeah, they can jump on them when they want to thats for sure ^_^

The 3/4" one was an odd one and will be fed to my dragon in future (hopefully he will be joining me next week) - Most of these were 1/2" which seemed perfect, still yes no impaction risk is woderful to know.

Dangling did seem to work for one of them, he wasn't interested either when it was in my fingers but once it was moving of its own violition (or at least appeared to be) then he took it, after that he appeared to realise for sure they were definately food and took the rest straight from my fingers.