SILKWORM HELP??????????

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by VIN, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Newb

Newb New Member

where is the best place in canada to order chow?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

That seems kinda odd. I've never heard of using egg crates for silkies. Anyway, it looks like you're going to have to do each one by hand. Again I can't see why they would use egg crates. :?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Egg question,

I have read conflicting info this. Do you HAVE to refrigerate the eggs before incubating htem?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. hornedfrog

hornedfrog Member

Yeah, eggcrates. I ordered them from mulberryfarms.com. I ended up dumping it after all, but that only got about 40% out. Then I had to vigorously beat the box upside down about every 15 minutes for an hour and a half to get another 50% out. I have about 10% still stuck in there and I'm slowly picking them out by hand as they move to where I can see them. What a pain.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. wideglide

My experience has been that some will go ahead and hatch without cooling them down first and some won't. I've never had a batch that didn't hatch after being cooled but I have had a few that never hatched if they weren't cooled first. I'm sure it's got something to do with the timing, temps, etc. of things but I have no idea what effects what as far as that goes.

I've also had some eggs skip the dark color stage and turn directly gray and hatch before I even had chance to put them in the fridge.

And if you do end up cooling them how long is necessary? Wish I had an answer to that one too.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Hehe,

Thanks Rob. You even answered my next question. Well...... no you didn't, but you knew what it was. lol

12. wideglide

LOL! Well I'm just glad I can provide all kinds of accurate details and some good, solid, concrete information so there's no guess work involved! :D

13. DaremoAlpha

DaremoAlpha Member

Hornedfrog--- if you have room turn the box on it's side and place some chow near the crate edges, the worms should migrate to the food smell for you.

Wideglide---ever have a set of moths link up and only a few hours later have her start laying eggs all over an old cocoon? I had a "beaded " cocoon now that I get to see if it will darken. I never even got to move them over to my moth tray before things started to happen.

14. Crazy_Fool1

Crazy_Fool1 Member

this topic is crazy long lol its wicked the new interest stormed up mostly by Rob int he silkworm farming ideals.... Thanks Rob,

PS Does anyone know when silkie raising part two will be comign out?

15. landon_ltca

landon_ltca New Member

im just thinkin bout buying silkies, and
    http://www.silkworms.ca seems to be a good place to order from canada, their prices seem not too bad...check it out, if there is a better canadian site to order from please post.

16. DaremoAlpha

DaremoAlpha Member

Both silkies.ca and CanadianFeeders are great to deal with, prices are about the same and so are shipping costs. Both groups of people are also a pleasure to deal with.

17. Crazy_Fool1

Crazy_Fool1 Member

i know ppl who use that site and say the service is great... im probly gonan make my next order from them as well

18. Crazy_Fool1

Crazy_Fool1 Member

so 4 of my original 13 moths just emerged and they are all female :) but one already started laying her eggs with no males out yet :) i hope sum big strong men come out quickly or the first batch of cocoons will be really boring.... next batch is just starting to cocoon.... got 3 being made right now

19. LizardLicker21

LizardLicker21 New Member

20. DaremoAlpha

DaremoAlpha Member

Those are some great pics . I had a moth lay all over a cocoon too. Question though, how far do your worms wander on that rack or do they even?

21. LizardLicker21

LizardLicker21 New Member

They move a little bit, but they pretty much just go to the food. They don't escape though like those stinkin crickets! When it's time to cocoon, sometimes they wind up crazy places. I've had a couple spin on the wall of the laundry room.

22. asnatlas

asnatlas Embryo

Thanks for the info...

Shawn

23. coolperson21o42

coolperson21o42 Embryo

Hi, I was wondering if anyone still wanted to get rid of some eggs. If you are, shoot me a PM and we can work something out. Or you can email me at coolfisherman@comcast.net.

thanks in advance.

24. Crazy_Fool1

Crazy_Fool1 Member

where is maryland

25. Nihil

Nihil Embryo

I'm new here, I know this thread is ages old, but I had some questions about silkworms so I googled n read a lot, but this is by far THE BEST source of info and I thought I'd join this forum so I could ask a few questions, in hopes of some answers...soo....here goes....

I recently purchased some silkworms (two cup fulls) but they all died, I had a setup like what's described/recommended here. They would end up darkening in color, slowly become less active, then dead, and next day they'd be mush, they just turned to slime. I don't know what I did wrong.

What's the relative humidity range for these? My temps range from 70-80 and are kept inside with relative humidity being around 25-40% and they were never covered so that should apply to them as well. Nothing was ever wet, no condensation ever built up.

I read about that virus, and saw pics, but mine didn't seem to correspond with any of that so I'm ruling that out.

I don't know what other information to give, so if anyone can help me out, it's greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!