sick baby, don't know what's wrong

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by wheat_thin636, Jul 16, 2007.

1. wheat_thin636

wheat_thin636 New Member

within a matter of hours, my baby beardie went from being fine to very sick.
    when i left for work, he was fine, but didn't want to eat crickets. when i came home for lunch, he seemed exhausted and couldn't hold his head up and his limbs were limp, and he twitched a little. I know these can be symptons of d3/calcium deficiency, but that shouldn't be a problem. yesterday, he did eat a TON of crickets, maybe they impacted him? what can i do?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. RobertII

RobertII Well-Known Member

RE: sick baby, don

Please fill THIS Out
    It will help us help you.

Robert

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. wheat_thin636

wheat_thin636 New Member

i gave him a warm bath and a drop of oil. I found a lump in his lower right tummy (could this be impaction, or is it some part of his anatomy?). His front legs seem fine now, it's just his back ones that twitch a little bit. he can hold his head up now, which is good. i can't get to the nearest herp vet around here. i gave them a call, and was told most of the beardies that go there don't make it through. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

OWNER INFO
    Is this your first bearded dragon? yes
    What area are you located in? midwest

PERSONAL HISTORY (Dragon)
    Dragons name: Toad/Toadette (too young, but I think he's a boy)
    Age, weight and length if you know? 5 weeks, 7 inches
    How long with you? 3 weeks
    What is his condition recently and if it changed, when? fine
    Is he active, clear eyes and bright? yup
    Is the beard, chest or tail tip darker than the rest or than normal? no
    Walking/moving normally?yes
    Any physical features that do not appear normal?no
    From Breeder or Pet Store? (this may make a difference) breeder
    Has he every been treated by a vet,
    If yes, for what and what meds were used/dosed and time if know?no
    Basking or sleeping during the day? basking
    Is he going to the bathroom, how often? a lot
    If not, when was the last time?
    Is it formed/normal or runny/smelly: formed/normal
    Alone or with others? alone
    If with others, what sex"?
    Soaking or misting at all and how often? misting every morning, bath every other day

ENCLOSURE
    Set up info tank size? 20 gal for now
    Temps -what do you use for heat? 84 on cool side, 104 on hot
    Basking point?
    Cool area?
    What are you measure it with? round zoomed thermometers
    What Substrate? paper towel
    UVB Lights type (detailed) what brand, model, and length or wattage: Zoomed Powersun 100 watt
    How old? almost new
    How close to UVB light when he bask? 12 inches
    What hours for day/night? 14 hours light, 10 hours dark
    Do you use any type of nighttime heat, if so what? no, it's 82 degrees at night

FOOD
    How is his appetite? IS there a change? good, eats a lot
    What size, kind and how many/much insects does he eat daily? a few phoenix worms daily, crix every week, some fruit flies for fun
    What do you feed the insects normally? commercial gut load for crix
    Is the dragon eating greens/veggies? yes
    What and how much? loves peas, collard greens and green beans, kale, and grapes/raspberries occasionally
    Supplements? yes
    What kind of calcium/how often? repcal every day on salad or bugs
    What kind of vitamins how often? herptivite on salad every other day
    How are these given to him? dusted on salad and bugs

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. RobertII

RobertII Well-Known Member

1. The Zoo Med Round dials are anywhere from 10-20+ Degrees off get a digital therm www.tempgun.com
    2. Try to get the temps below 84 on the cool end. I know its hard but those 4 degrees will make a difference.
    3. Your dragon at that age needs to be eating 3x's Daily as much as it wants until it stops eating. Crickets Roaches Silks also Phoenix worms are good.
    4. Ditch the fruit Flies all together.

I think the biggest thing right now is the food and the temps.
    They can really throw a dragon off and make them seriously sick.

Sounds like impaction with the back leggs going limp.
    I don't know what could have caused it. Fruit Flies? (Some one else would have to answer that)
    Was there something different today than normal?

Robert

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. wheat_thin636

wheat_thin636 New Member

thanks,
    the only difference is that usually he eats phoenix worms and silkies, but i fed him crickets yesterday, and he ate a lot of them. He pooped twice today while I was at work, and they were really big and uncomfortable-looking, and after feeling his stomach, he might have another one in there that won't come out.
    He looks much better now, almost normal. his hind toes are twitching just slightly, his body is not so shriveled-looking, and he is holding his head up. Still, he can't talk to me, and I wish I knew what was wrong.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

I wonder if you didn't get a bad batch of crickets... crickets can carry pinworms. I'd give him a soak to get him rehydrated and see if you can find a vet...

Also, do get that digital thermometer. You can get an indoor/outdoor at Walmart for about $7.50. Poor guy... sudden attacks are just terrible.

12. wheat_thin636

wheat_thin636 New Member

thanks for the responses, i didn't have time to run anywhere, as I don't have a car. Tomorrow I'll get a thermometer and try to get to a vet, though it's hard in this area without a car.
    he seems a little better now, more energy and is staying awake and keeping his head up, looking around. He has trouble getting on and off his basking rock by jumping b/c his limbs are kind of shaky, but he is basking and his fingers and toes are twitching much less. i've soaked him and will continue to do so, and will give him a drop of oil every so often to try to clean out his gut, and I've given him liquid calcium.
    He does seems better, I'll check on him again int eh morning

13. wheat_thin636

wheat_thin636 New Member

so after lots of soaks and olive oil, Toad finally pood! It was green and smelly and big, but I'm so happy! He is exhausted and napping now, but he is much more responsive now, staring at things again. Hopefully that was his only impaction, but I'll keep bathing him and giving him baby food for at least the next day. ii won't feed him so many crickets at once every again!

14. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

Hello

Hello,

How is your baby doing?
    Dehydration can cause their GI tracts to get stopped up, & coupled with him eating alot of protein, that further complicates the problem. The babies have very tiny & sharply curved intestines which make it hard for them to pass things if they get constipated.
    Make sure you get those temps lowered a little bit. A 20 gallon makes it hard to keep the gradients where they need to be. If you have a hot spot of 104 or so, the ambient temps will be at least 80. What type of basking light do you have, can you get a lower wattage? I see you have a Powersun mercury vapor, so, that is all of the lighting you are using, correct?
    Also, I noticed you are using herptivite every other day. It also has calcium & D3 in it, so, cut back on that to 1 or 2 times a week, & the calcium you can keep to 5 days a week. Too much supplementation can also impact them, too.
    If you got a 30 or 40 gallon, it would make it easier to control those temps as well.
    Keep us posted on him. Try diluted pedialyte or low sugar gatorade. Mix 3 parts water with 1 part solution & syringe it to him, orally, or just use a dropper whichever is easier.

Tracie

15. wheat_thin636

wheat_thin636 New Member

RE: Hello

just an update on Toad - he's doing much better now. He is almost back to normal. he isn't interested in bugs, but has shown some interest in squash. he took a small bite. I've been force feeding him baby food, and he's been pooping a lot.
    Instead of lying listlessly, he jumps onto and off his log, and recently sat in his empty water bowl and stared at me. After I added some water, he stuck his face in and drank :p So I think he's on his way back :)

16. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

Hello

Hello,

That is great that Toad is making a good recovery from his impaction. AT least he is active & eating a bit which is a good sign. Give him some time, & continue with the assisted feeding, & he should be much better in a week or less.
    Great job getting him through that ordeal.

Tracie