Sick and Tired Of Rattle Round Ups

Discussion in 'Venomous Snakes' started by Karlee, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karlee

Karlee Member

My worst hate, my absoloute worst, undisputed, disgusted hate, is towards Rattlesnake Round Ups. For those of you who are not aware of this "sport":mad:, this is an event where people try and catch as much wild caught Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes and exchange them for money (forget how much but it is A LOT of money for one snake). Once turned over, the snakes are milked for their venom and slaughtered to make snake skin boots, belts, etc.

Unfortunatly, there are many problems with the western diamondback populations because of this unholly event. The western diamondbacks are quickly becoming endangered (extinct in some locations), quickly making the remaining diamondbacks evolve a new way of staying hidden so they survive. As you know, the rattle is used to prevent being trampled on by herd animals and discourage predators, but the new generations aren't using their rattles and alerting unsuspecting people. This has caused a growing number of western diamondback snake bites and snake bite fatalities. Since hunters tend to take the rattlesnakes they hear, they are leaving the ones they can't and that is what is causing the problem with silent rattlers.

Also, since they have targeted only one species of rattlesnake, Western Diamondbacks may most certainly face extinction soon. Rat populations in certain areas has increased due to this tragedy and the rat numbers will grow in other places as well if they are wiped out.

While this is illgal in some states, in states such as Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia, and at least two more states it is legal.

While the Sweetwater Rattle Roundup attracts about 300,000 visitors to Texas every year, this is labeled as animal abusment. First off, the room is kept at a constant 75 degrees farenhite, too low for a rattlesnake to maintain a healthy body temperature. Then they are handled and milked in front of hundreds of people. Finally, they are tied upside down and slaughtered.

They even make this into a game! Whoever could destroy the most snakes, wins. Sick what people come up with, isnt it? Then, they make it family fun by adding in a carnival and sweet, sugary treats.

It is up to the people to outlaw this event. The people of America has that right sitting in the palm of our hands, yet for decades we have done nothing. We sat back and let the ugly art of tourists and profits slaughter about 5% of the state's (Texas's to be more truethful) rattlesnake population every year.

ReptileRhett and Louie like this.
  2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. T.D. Serpents

T.D. Serpents New Member

It is a terrible act of butchery.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Karlee

Karlee Member

You can say that again. I was watching this program on how they got most of their snakes. They would pump some kind of gas (carbon monoxide maybe... some kind of deadly gas) into snake dens to flush the snakes out. And there could be 30 snakes in there, all dead because they couldnt get out and then maybe 5 or 10 of them are taken to Rattle Roundups. I swear a law suit is in order.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

sick sick sick people. i just cant show enough disgust for this "sport"

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ajlista

ajlista Well-Known Member

I cant believe thats a sport, like the people who crush the turtles for sport. Sick disgusting appalling people.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Louie

Louie Member

Problem is that most people dislike snakes or consider them "lowly" creatures but venomous snakes they HATE and see nothing wrong with killing and most states do not protect venomous snakes.

12. Carissa Homme

Carissa Homme Embryo

:'( This just breaks my heart. Is there anything that can be done to make roundups illegal everywhere?? The cruelty inherent in these events is so obvious :'(

13. reptile boy

reptile boy New Member

dont think i no how it all work but i learned this from a show on animal planet call rattle snake republic, and they same it ranges from like $2-$10 per snake, they should be illegal, all of them, sick people

14. Karlee

Karlee Member

Yeah, but when you consider how much snakes they haul in, its a lot of money.

15. Karlee

Karlee Member

Fun to you or fun to the reptiles? This is a serious problem and for wildlife conversationists this isnt fun in any way.

16. Karlee

Karlee Member

Yes, but this, right here, is a case of animal abusement. Heck, if they killed them humanely and had a set limit, I would be happy. But this is animal cruelity and this is the same thing as beating a dog to death.

When did intelligence weave its way into this? From what I am reading, it sounds like you are saying this practice is OK because they arent as smart as other animals... So are you saying if I pinched a dumb person its OK because they are dumb?

Sure, I can explain that. Child is left alone in their backyard. Child sees a moving stick. Child grabs moving stick. Child gets bit. That is basicly how a child gets bit. Now, if you were a snake, wouldnt you see this as threatening? Wouldnt this compel you to bite so you could live? And also, by saying that your saying any animal that bites a child should be killed. I mean, any animal could bite, and just because it is a snake this makes it different?

Dont find any of this in offense, because normally, I dont mean it that way. I am just saying this is causing a problem with the population and this is a case of animal cruelty.

reptile boy likes this.
  17. reptile boy

reptile boy New Member

did you see that video? they are basicly whating to die on that butchery table!

18. Karlee

Karlee Member

I disagree with everything that your saying. Why should the more intelligent animals be treated more humanly than the dumber? Just because a dog is smarter than the rattlesnake, doesnt make them very different along the lines of treatement. A snake still feels stressed. A snake still feels pain. A snake still feels fear (maybe, I know it feels stress and pain). Whats the difference? Seriously, you think that they dont feel pain or stress because they arent as bright as other animals? That's like saying "special" people dont understand whats going on unlike normal people. We all know whats going on, we all know that snake is going to die. Do you think just because they arent bright they should be abused?

I can agree, I wouldnt want a small child to be bit by a snake, but what I cant agree with is that because its a snake it should be killed. Do you think a snake goes up to the child, or do you think the child goes up to the snake? In that terms, it wouldnt really be aggression, it would be defensive. And what is the likely hood of finding a rattlesnake, of all other snakes, in your backyard? If you lived out in the country, I understand that it is more likely, but most people today live in suburban or urban neighborhoods.

Just listen to yourself please! You say you love snakes, but your sounding more like the people who promote the extinction of rattlesnakes because they have the potental to kill. Actually, THAT IS what your doing. Rattlesnake Roundups are banned in most states for a reason, and if you dont agree with me than just dont get on this page saying they are bad because you obviously think this "fun" sport should be kept. And if it is kept at the rate it is going, it will more than likely lead to the extinction of western diamond-back rattlesnakes.

19. supernova

supernova Member

Trained?, Cage aggression proves you dead wrong there. Feeding a snake in it's enclosure causes this...why you ask.... Because they are trained that food is introduced when the enclosure is opened. Every snake i own has a unique pattern of behavior depending on daily routines. This is training.

Fun? If I owned this forum I would have banned your account for promoting a Felony of animal Abuse as being "fun". I suppose you would call it fun to toss a dog in a freezer for two hours so it would lack the defense ability while you yank it's teeth out,sew it's mouth shut so you could then Exploit the animal for money via photo's with it as it dies slowly from stress,heat, and lack of food and water. This is not a dog but IS an animal and has the same rights as any other animal.

I strongly suggest you do your research before making another comment on this subject, you may be surprised on what you find out about how these events really operate.

BTW: More people suffer from serious injuries and even death from dogs every year than snakes. Those are real statistics.

ReptileRhett likes this.
  20. supernova

supernova Member

Interesting coming from someone who puts there life on the line for this country has no compassion for anything in this country. .or anything of this world for that matter.

Maybe you forgot what you where trained for son. I have an idea, Take a pay cut. That would help people.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Take a look at the specifics on the dog/snake incident ratios and you will find they are broken down by states.
    I also suggest you take a look at RARR and USARK for documentation on the matter.
    Don't feed me the instinct line, I currently have 14 breeders and handle them with inconsistency and they all have individual behaviors dependent on how they where handled during the first year of development. In short, I can take a snake i handle everyday and leave them alone (other than general husbandry) for months and they will continue to function with the same routines they developed in the first year.

As far as memory span of reptiles you may want to educate yourself (if possible) and read some of Mellisa kaplan's studies as well as a few well documented findings you will find in depth interviews at the reptile living room.

I have one word do describe you and that is "Arrogant", that frame of mind will only get you ridiculed here and killed in combat. The Herp Community is Bigger than you think, Obviously.

The fact of the matter is you popped off without research and you are now being called out on what you know.

Since the hunt would be "FUN" as you say, fill us in on the details on how they hunt and obtain the Rattle-snakes. Maybe your view will change after some research. Opinions are like butts, everyone has one but no one want's to see yours. In short, hearsay is just that, research equals valid evidence...

ReptileRhett likes this.
  21. Karlee

Karlee Member

How is the hunt fun? Let me tell you how they obtain the rattlesnakes and let's see if it is still fun. They poison them to make it short. They pump some kind of toxic gas into a snake den containing any where from 10-30 snakes. Maybe a tenth of those come out, leaving the rest to be trapped and slowly die a worthless, probably painful death. Also, they take the snakes that rattle most of the time, leaving the ones that dont to reproduce and pass on this trait to its offspring. This means most people arent being alerted a rattlesnake is in their presence and are getting bit because of this sport. Dont say it isnt because this because it is and both you and I know it. This topic has been researched hundreds of times and rattlesnake roundups are the leading cause of this.

How is it just an animal? That really tells me something because my animals are important to me, but you obviously dont care about them. You see them as something you could just throw out and it really isnt a big deal. I love my animals, I treat them like family because they ARE family. Like it or not, they are family and whatever any one says wont change that.

The last sentence is so racist dude it isnt even funny. You could starve to death if you really think that way. Also, people who promote the animal rescues arent out to ruin people's lives, they are out to help the animal's lives.

I could think of a lot more characteristics than arrogant, and I assure you that you dont want to hear them. But what I am actually laughing at is that you went on reptile boards and insulted reptiles. Did you not think people would get offended and upset?

22. Karlee

Karlee Member

Before I say anything, I want to apologize if I said anything that insulted you. I am a bit short tempered.

OK, I understand that. But you seriously had to point out animal abuse was fun? Any one would have shot you down as if you were a duck.

I believe that all people are worth helping. You could be Hitler and I would still acknowledge you in the way I would any other person (that doesnt mean I agree with what he did, I am just saying he is a human being two and every one deserves a helping hand). How would you like it if you had just shot some one, and because of that, the hospital wouldnt help you when you had a stroke or something?

23. Karlee

Karlee Member

Yeah, remind me that if you ever end up in prison.

24. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

I get back from vacation and this is the 1st post I read through and I find members being disrespectful to each other. I'm locking this post, it's gone off topic and bordering on offensive in a number of different directions. Please refrain from using profanity on our site (I'm editing it all out now), those of you who did, you've been warned.
    The war is not a topic, the rattle snake round up was. Please keep on topic in other threads from now on and keep to constructive criticism. There is a fine line between CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and just being rude and disrespectful, please figure out for yourselves where that line is, and if you think something is over that line er on the side of caution and don't post it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.