should i use a heat rock for my skink

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by modis, Aug 26, 2004.

1. modis

modis Embryo

i have a asian golden skink, i was wondering if i should use a heat rock for it.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Slizarus

Slizarus New Member

If it's a regular Golden skink, don't use a ground heat source.. Use a day light and a UV flourescent bulb..
    Despite what many will say about Heat rocks.. they tend to forget that new ones are much different and most have temp controls.. the heat is given equally through a coil instead of one place in the rock developing a heat spot.. the only dangerous part of new heat rocks is that they can short out.. however that's a small chance.

Is it a Mabuya multifasciatus? Be sure to spray it and give it humidity..
    Here's a good site I found Here I also reccomend googling Golden Skink Care. and researching that.

Good luck with your new Herp!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Dont use a heat rock.
    They are bad! They will burn and kill your animal.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

i totally agree with stormy! NEVER use a heat rock for *any* reptile or amphibian! i don't know why they even bother selling the things anymore! only use an under-tank heat pad and/or heat lamps (all OUTSIDE the cage)!

temp controls have NOTHING to do with it. no animal needs heat eminating from a plastic rock directly on it's abdomen. it's unnatural and dangerous and does not help with anything. it absolutely does NOT help them digest food and in no way helps heat the cage (only the rock itself and an inch around it). they're useless AND harmful.