Shopping List

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by Descending, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Descending

Descending New Member

I am just curious on what supplies are needed to house green tree frogs. Can you give me a list of supplies to get.

AND I know some people who only house one in a 10 gallon. Is this okay? I always tell them to get a buddy and a bigger tank.

Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. anoleboy2

anoleboy2 Member

I started out with two in a thirty gallon for extra room but one got away somehow and I can't find him. So I gave the thirty gal to my anoles and put him alone in a ten gallon with lots of plants and hiding areas, he seems to be doing fine. I have jungle bed as my substrate with a thin layer of moss covering it and a two inchlayer of gravel covering three quarters of the tank , I use live plants but fake would do. I also have a small pond at the end without gravel, and a UVB bulb. The temperature is from 70-75 degrees and the humidity is about 65-70% hope this helps. Here is a list of supplies to make a tank similar to mine:
    10-20 gal tank/w lid, gravel, jungle bed, moss, thermometer/hygrometer, potted plants, and a UVB bulb. have fun! :D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Descending

Descending New Member

Thanks.

So Overall, I would need:

1. 10 gallon w/lid (only getting one for a temporary time so I can get use to their care)
    2. Gravel (drainage)
    3. Organic Potting Soil
    4. Moss and Coco bedding (as cover up on the potting soil)
    5. Thermometer/Hydrometer, nontoxic plants, and a Plant bulb.

So the ten gallon will be on its side much like a Gargoyle/Crestie tank... Boy, this will be easy.

Can I put a little fogger in there? (I will have a tiny, tiny 3in. deep pond in there.)

So, do you think all the Supplies that I have listed are good to meet a Tree Frogs needs?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lestat

lestat Moderator

Make sure it's very well planted. I would advise a larger tank as well. They can be pretty active and they'll probably be a bit crowded in a 10 gallon. You can use a fogger, but tree frogs generally don't need quite as high humidity as some other species do. As long as you water the tank, it should be fine.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. anoleboy2

anoleboy2 Member

You could put it on its side or keep it on its bottom but I think it would be better on its side. It sounds like you've got it. Good luck and have! :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Descending

Descending New Member

Lestat, One will be okay in a ten gallon. I am giong to start out with one so I can get into the "ball" about caring and needs. But afterwards, I will get a new friend and a 20 gallon tall -- don't worry. It is temporary. I got a 18gallon Hex and might use that for the GTF.

African Violet, emerald fern, spiderplant, and cornplant (indoor one, not the one that produces Corn)... and a few bamboos and ivys. wth petrified wood in the middle as the center piece. That is giong to be the tank theme. The tank is giong to be full with plants.

Thanks guys! :wink: Such a big help!

12. lestat

lestat Moderator

Why not just start out with the 20g? You're going to be spending more money in the end, and housing the first frog in less than adequate space.

Sounds like you're going to have quite a little jungle in there. I don't know how much of the taller plants you plan on having, but I suggest getting a pretty good supply of them to give the frog more vertical space to climb around in.

13. Descending

Descending New Member

In the end... no matter where I go... I will end up buying a 20 gallon high. *NO WAY OUT!!* Lol I have a spare 18gallon hex and some spare ten gallons. :)

I plan on making a jungle! Lol Don't worry... maybe a baby Dracaena will do good... afterwards when it is taking up the tank and still growing to the tip top... I get another baby from the mother plant.