~Shock collars~

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by croc_gator_rebeccak3, Feb 11, 2007.

1. croc_gator_rebeccak3

croc_gator_rebeccak3 Well-Known Member

my friend has a dog that barks constantly and it is getting worst. she is thinking about getting a shock collar... which i dont know what to think.

Any suggestion on the matter?---- Does it really hurt like people say.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. tupi1

tupi1 New Member

I used a shock collar on a rottie I had once and it was horrible.The first time I used it he yelped and ran and hid.It never did work....This may sound rather bad to some but its much better then a shock collar....This is how I trained my dogs to stop barking.I used a cheap bb gun.Pumped to one or two, I had someone shoot my leg to make sure it would not break the skin or injure me too bad first..But here is the thing it really works.You have to yell NO BARK and only only ping him when he is actually barking.If you open the door and he stops then you ping him it wont work..He has to be barking and only hit his rump area....I am assuming this a medium to big dog, its too dangerous to hit a small dog..So basically the dog thinks when I bark something stings me, this is not pleasant, I also hear Ne Bark so I better stop when I hear that so I dont get stung....Anyway just a suggestions...

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bearded_boy

bearded_boy New Member

Well we got a shok collar for our dog and it works wonderully he obeys like "the perfect dog"when he has it on and he has never barked for no reason since it made training easy and him being used as a bird dog we shoot guns and he wuld trie to bite at the barrel of the gun untill we shoked him on high for a good 3 or 4 seconds. now He sits and never moves untill we throw his fake duck for him. we have friends that we loan it to and the very next day there returning it but you have to think "would I rather him keep doing the things that anoy me or could get him hurt worse than just a little shoke to his neak" but most people freak out becouse it dousnt realy hurt your dog it just surprizes them and thats why they react eith such a loud yelp.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

I agree. The shock collar MAY work for some. But it is essentially the lazy way out. You *can* adjust the shocker level but I still don't approve. There are also other ways (ie, the Citronella collar spray. Sprays a VERY diluted citrus liquid into their eyes, or something to that affect.) I also disapprove of that one. If your friend was really determined and cared for their dog, they would research, ask professional trainers, etc. It takes much more work and time, but there are kinder ways of stopping the barking. Positive reinforcement. Get someone to knock on the front door. When the dog barks, put them into a sit, and say firmly "No Bark". Show them a treat. When they stop, treat immediately. This is what I do for my dogs. Worked for me. But you have to have treats close by. I just keep mine in a bowl on a table by the front door. Good luck!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Also, try getting the visitor to treat the dog. They'll eventually see that ppl knocking on the door is a good thing.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bearded_boy

bearded_boy New Member

oh yes ash's way is good untill your dog gets smart on this procedure and learns to bark-stop-treat-bark again-stop -treat just remember unless your dog cant remember were his bed or food dish is, there probably smarter than the average teen human...

12. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Ash here. The lazy way out.. Treating seemed to work wonders for my dog, although he was already pretty obedient when we got him, he just needed a bit of a push sometimes.

Sorry Tupi, but i have to totally disagree with the BB gun idea. The bullets sting enough on a human, let alone a dog. It may have worked for you, but i just don't agree with inflicting that much pain. I'm not trying to say you are wrong, just that i don't agree with that approach.

13. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Exactly. And it really just depends on the dog. Some are intelligent, some are not. Some obedient, some not. They must be influenced by food. Take my dog. She has an amazing memory, it scares me sometimes. She's also pretty obedient. The positive reinforcement works pretty good with her. If you have a stubborn, stupid dog...well you'd have to be very patient and determinded...
    You really don't wantyour dog to be afraid. The whole reason they stop barking from the collar is because they are afraid. I just can't stand that. It seems to me like you're killing their spirit.

14. 00luke00

Spot on. You don't want a dog who is scared of you (well i don't) , and who won't bark just because of that. It's just plain cruel. That's the only word i can think of to describe it. If you wanted a dog (or any animal for that matter) in the first place, i believe you should be willing to give it time and patience. Dogs don't become obedient just like that. Like everything, things take time.

15. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

Dogs DO NOT bark for no reason. They do it because the owner either leaves them alone and bored, tied up/kenneled all the time, or because they're guarding/hear a noise. If a person cannot accept that dogs are animals and thus will make some noise they should not have the dog! If the person is too lazy to train their dog and spend the proper time caring for it they should not have it!

Shock collars are inhumane, if anyone doesn't think so wear the darn thing yourself and let it shock you. Using fear and anxiety is not the proper way to train a dog.
    As for suggesting to shoot the dog with a bb gun, that's immature and cruel. I have found many dogs and cats with bbs stuck under their skin, so claiming that it doesn't hurt them is stupid.

16. 00luke00

Again, i totally agree. If you don't like the barking don't get a dog. Zuberok, please try to persuade your friend not to get the shock collar!

17. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

strange_wings, Yes!! You worded that wonderfully. People should have dogs, or any animals really, if they cannot understand them and are not willing to try and solve the problem. Dogs always bark for a reason and that's that. Figure out why they bark, then research how to fix it. Dogs get far more stressed out by everyday things that humans take in stride. They should not be punished or intimidated for that. When a dog barks at a sound they hear, or strangers on their territory, it means they are watch dogs and are trying to protect YOU, their owner. They love you and just want to guard you. That's all it is. Why hurt them for it? They just need to be shown that it's harmless and no need to worry.

18. lollapalooza

lollapalooza Member

My dogs use it. Primarily, because we live around a lot of old people that like to walk. Our dogs would literally crush them jumping up and being playful. We don't need that.

It's adjusted, I've felt it, its only a little zap. It beeps a few feet really loud before you even get to the line. The dogs hear it, and the last time I saw one zapped was probably a little over a year ago.

We let our dogs bark, we play with our dogs, they run around in our yard, they are playful and happy. I would NOT want to see them killed because they hurt a person, or ran in to the street after a ball.

Now, to use it because they bark? That's stupid. You really shouldn't even have a dog if you don't want it to bark. That's like declawing cats.

That's how I feel about the subject, anyway.

19. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

Shock collars follow the old school thinking of training. The proper way to train a dog is by reenforcement of good behavior not extreme punishment of bad behavior. Dogs should not be shocked when they bark, it is their only vocal form of communication. try reinforcing good times to bark but withholding the reenforcement when they bark at improper times, once the basic rule is set you can decrease the amount of "treats".

20. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that would be like shocking a person for talking. Lolla, what kind of dogs do you have?

21. lollapalooza

lollapalooza Member

Re: RE: ~Shock collars~

Oh, a Boxer and a Basset Hound. Both are pretty big.

I'm sorta confused, which are we talking about. Perimeter shock collars or bark shock collars?

22. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: ~Shock collars~

Oh, I loove boxers. Cool :D Post a pic!
    I thought we were talking about bark shock collars since the problem of the OP was his friends barking dog.

23. 00luke00

Aww boxers are soo sweet :D While we are on the topic of dogs, i just wanted 2 say how annoyed people make me when they say things like, oh you don't want a boxer, they're soo fierce.

I have a staffie cross greyhound, and he is the cutest and most laid back dog we've ever had. But as soon as you mention it to people who don't know buster they're like "oh my god, you have a staffordshire bull terrier! they are well nasty!" I know some breeds are known for their aggressive nature, but i stil don't believe that they shouldn't stereotype. It's just like saying.. all corn snakes are docile, when in actual fact they're not!

Anyway, this is completely off topic for the title of the post, just wanted 2 get that off my chest :D

Yes, i thought we were talking about the bark shock collars.

24. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

As someone effected by BSL who had 2 service dog APBTs who were unjustly taken from me I can totally agree with you luke.

25. shorep1

shorep1 Embryo

We have a huskie and would never use a shock collor on him. A horse trainer that we know explained that when he jumped on people and got excited and we have him all that attention (Mickey, no Down< etc) he learned that if he misbehaved, he got attention, even is it was not good attention. I use to go so far as to try to distract him with hugs and petting. She explained that if we keep him leased when other people are around and kept it tight enough so he could not jump, but enough room for him to move, he would have to discipline himself and calm himself down. It takes a lot of time and patients. but it does work. Then after he calms himself, we git him the good attention he deserves.

So Far, So Good.