shipping herps - info needed!!

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Hummingbird, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

well i may be able to get a young viper gecko from st. louis. :tears of joy: i'm near columbus, ohio and it's warming up (it was, like, 75* here this afternoon! 8) ) and i was wondering approximately how much shipping would be and how likely it would be that my baby survive the journey.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hummingbird

anyone? i'm sure someone has shipped a lizard before. any idea what overnight would be from st. louis to columbus? would a young viper gecko (about 6 months old) be okay? what's the best way to ship one (in a small food saver in a box with packing peanuts?)?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. BeardieGuy

BeardieGuy Member

I ahve no clue but I think they put them in a box with towels to keep them warm and they put them in many many boxes, no clue about the shipping though, If its overnight then its probably around 8.99 but if like 4-5 days then like 6.00 maybe, educated guess lol, good luck
    -mike

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell you what shipping would be but most often it's in the $25-40 range depening on the distance and weight of the package.
    The seller should be able to answer ALL of your shipping questions. If they cant answer the questions then you ought to look for a different breeder or store.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Hummingbird

well it's not a seller or breeder - just someone who doesn't want the gecko anymore. the weight would be extremely light. i can't see it being over 3 pounds tops and the distance is st. louis to columbus. i'll check out the usps website.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

You will probably be around $30 for the shipping then.
    Make sure that when he ships it that he specifies not only next day air, but AM or Priority so that it's delivered to you by 10 AM

12. Hummingbird

gotcha. thanks! i went to usps.com and they have a place where you can put in all the info and the total was like $20 BUT i totally estimated the package weight and size.

13. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

I agree with Stormyva about the Priority... it still doesn't guarantee everything will go smoothly, but the chances are much better and you can track it's progress. Be sure the person packs the viper in a relatively small container,so it doesn't get bounced around inside it's container in the box. Also, be sure they label it so USPS know it is alive.

14. Hummingbird

oh i would definately use priority and a very small container. thanks for the tips!

15. P8ntballpete

P8ntballpete New Member

i dont think the USPS ships reptiles anymore i think you have to do priority air mail.

16. Hummingbird

no they will do it. the shipper already checked with her local post office. besides, isn't 'priority air mail' a service OF usps?