Sex my crested

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by deydey, Nov 9, 2009.

1. deydey

deydey Member

I know some of the shots are useless but I just wanted to show him/her off as well as get the i.d lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

im thinking a female

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Do you have any idea on the weight? Any chance you can get a picture of her while she is on a piece of glass so we can look at the pores?

She certainly looks old enough to be accurately sexed, and form the side pictures I agree with Shanna in that she looks female. Actually, I'm quite positive she is =)

Very pretty gecko by the way =)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. deydey

deydey Member

damn another female.

ive got 3 female leos as well!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

well you should feel lucky, girls of any species are naturally better than the boys XD
    kidding of course. its hard to find male leos, all the ones i see for sale are females unless i go to a reptile show. but with cresties ive heard that the males are more common, but at the reptile show i got jack from there was a total of 4 sexed males in the entire room, all the rest were females

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Heh, there is a benefit to having a female. If you decide you want another and it is female they could potentially live together without the issues males have. Males are really only the better option if you only intend to have one gecko as a pet or are breeding...and even when breeding you usually want a higher female:male ratio.

I actually do have more luck running into males, which may be a good thing because I always tell myself "If you were a girl, you would be MINE!" I don't have as much space for another single male enclosure, so if a lovely female pops up I jump on it...not literally of course =)

12. crestedgeckos

crestedgeckos Embryo

Yes from the side it looks as you have a female as there is no real bulge there. How old is he/she?

Bulges can develope in males as late as 12 months an underneath close up photo would be better to give a more definate answer.

Cheers,

Mark