semi - aquatic terrarium

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Big_Al, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Big_Al

Big_Al Embryo

hey people ...
    new to this site and looking for some help. I currently have a 90gal fresh water aquarium set up but looking to change things up. has any one had any suucess setting up a semi - aquatic terrarium? probaby 90% of it would be land and a little section with water to add a little something to it any help would be great... one thing i would like to have in it is a bearded dragon, is this possible? i'm thinkin no but hey maybe it could work with this size tank.thanks in advance for any help!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

hmmm if you want to make like a little pond thing i would make a plexiglass divider and use silicone sealant to glue it into place. you can cut the plexiglass to the height that you want and this will allow you to make the water deeper or shallower.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Freaky_pete

Freaky_pete Well-Known Member

Um
    Is this for a dragon? Cuz it will increase the humiity and you'd have to change the water every day... .. couldnt be very deep only 1-1.5 inches probally for a full growne dragon.. really If you you had the space in the tank dont use a plexi glass pool use a large water dish.. then you can change it every day and clean it everyday easier

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. joe5555

joe5555 Member

u can use a filter to clean the water if the water is deep enough.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Freaky_pete

Freaky_pete Well-Known Member

If he wants to go deep its a big risk for the dragon..

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

I agree that if you're thinking of putting a beardie in there, that a large water dish would be more ideal, and easier. Beardies tend to defecate in their water, and it will be much easier to clean it out if you had a dish rather than a built in pool...even a submersible filter will not clean that out. But, if you don't mind the extra work of the daily cleaning, it could work if it's not too deep...like 2 inches, and no deeper. Also, you will need to keep an eye on the humidity, since beardies need a relatively low humidity...50-60%.

If you decide to do this, I'd love to see pics when you're finished...I bet that it will look very nice.

Rebecca

12. joe5555

joe5555 Member

o sorry i didnt see that he was putting a beardy in sorry. i just thought in general.

13. Mescaline

Mescaline New Member

i have set up a semi aqautic terraium.

if you read around many people suggest fitting some sort of glass in the tank to seperate the water from the land. but i didnt want this set up becuase its too permanent and wouldnt allow for easy cleaning. i also didnt choose this set up because i wanted something that created a shore, not just a 90 degree striaght wall that seperates land and water.

so what i did was....

i went to my local nursery and picked up a large bag of river stone for about 10 dollars. i placed them in my bathtub and just let the water run for a bit to clean off all the dirt. i then put them on metal trays and put them in the oven for a bit to kill all and any germs/bacteria.

then i placed the rocks within the tank where i wanted there to be land. i tried to fit them in so the rocks rested on eachother and weren't just sitting loosly. i placed some plastic mesh ontop of the rocks so that the substrate wouldnt just fall through. then i placed the substrate ontop.

becuase the substrare sits ontop of the rocks, i can fill the entire bottom of the tank with about 2 inches of water and not turn my substrate into mud.

this method allowed for the easiest cleaning and allowed me to make the shore any shape i wanted. and if you have a filter in the water, it will clean any germs/bacteria that runs through the substrate. almost creating an artifical waterbed.

here is an attached image of what my terrarium looks like.

[​IMG]

**edit**

sorry, cannot attach image from school. ill do it when i get home