semi-aquatic terrarium, half snake tank - half fish tank,

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by dan201, Feb 6, 2006.

1. dan201

dan201 Embryo

i have a custom made large terrarium for my red corn snake and it has a divider that divides off a small portion of the tank, im planning to put fish in the small part but i need help. I dont really know what id need to make this work because i dont know alot about taking care of fish.

-What kind of filtration or water care pumps or chemicals do i need?

-Will the snake be ok with the fish swimming around or do you think they will agitate him or he will try to eat them?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. BigZ3788

BigZ3788 Well-Known Member

RE: semi-aquatic terrarium, half snake tank - half fish tank

If you want to do that, I would paint the divider a solid color to avoid stress. Second all the filtration and things depend on the fish, in my snake tank I have a simple filter pump that was $40.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. NitroUK

NitroUK New Member

Ok keeping fish and snakes together can be done but it will be alot of maintenance. fish defecate in water obviously so you need to keep that water as clean as possible. you can do this with chemicals but you dont want to because that may be harmfull to your snake so the best way is to fill the tank with live plants this way the plants will take care of the majority of the polution for you. Try and get a filter with charcole pieces in the charcole helps good bacteria gather and they in turn do there bit. have sand instead of gravel in the tank also because when the water passes through it it acts as another extra filter. change a quarter of the tanks water once a month and the water should be safe to drink for your snake. also dont feed your fish fish food. you can buy a holiday block that slowly releases the nutrients that your fish need to stay alive into the water this also helps cut down on polution and this is the most important thing. You need to think of it like this would you drink from the bowl you are expecting your pet to drink from. if the answer is no then you need to have another think on things.

As for him eating the fish, Keep the fish small that way they will be harder for him to catch if he does try. Animals will eat when they are hungry so i would expect maybe one or two to disapear towards feeding time :)

:lol: Nitrouk :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. FLBlue

FLBlue Member

you cant have live plants and charcoal in your filter. charcoal actually removes the necessary nutrients that the plants need to thrive. the only chemical i use in my fish tanks is a dechlorinator. this is not harmful to animals. all it does is remove the chlorine from tap water. which is actually a good thing, as chlorine is a toxin to most animals. all you will need to keep fish, is a good filter and an underwater heater if you are planning to keep tropical species of fish. look into filters made for turtle tanks. many people make half water half land tanks for their turtles. to keep the water clean, just do water changes of 10% of the water each week. you can change out more if you need to.
    i wouldnt use sand or gravel. when i had an aquatic turtle, the water side was just water and floating driftwood and floating anacharis (aquatic plant), no gravel or sand. sand can actually clog your filter and it can just be a pain, it can get algaed and is just messy. also i would be worried if the snake accidently ingested the sand or gravel. you really dont need any sort of substrate in the water side if you dont want the extra hassle of having to keep it clean as well. if you want it to look natural, get some larger river rocks that the snake cant swallow or move.
    i would also check out turtle tanks, do a google search, there you'll get some ideas on half/half tanks.

also, dont use "holiday or vacation block feeders". those things are HORRIBLE for fish. all they do is pollute the water with some calcium powder and really dont have much food at all in them. please just feed regular fish food in moderation. if you use these blocks you'll have to change the water and your filter media more often. and your fish will probably die of starvation.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. discus

discus New Member

Everything said above is true.Ive been keeping fish for 25 yrs.
    Also you halfto remember that there is going to be alot of moisture in that tank and corn snakes do not require humidity as they will get fungus they are a dry climat snake.all the corns need is a water dish for drinking and moist area during the sheed period to help keep there sheeding skin moist for sheeding puposes.(my snakes usually sook in there water dish)
    As well is if he deficates in the water you will have a hell of a mess to clean up
    If you want a half/Half tank and a snake go with a ball Python they require alot of humidity in there tank

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. FLBlue

FLBlue Member

dry climate? dont think so...most corns are from Florida...one of the most humid areas in the US. you dont find corns in the desert (dry climate).

12. discus

discus New Member

If i ment Desert i would of said Desert climat,Dry as in not always wet like the tank would be they will get problems

13. crusty1

crusty1 Member

for the filter for your tank, you could do an under gravel power head filter, may help with feces, and stuff
    just pack up once side of the tank with gravel, and u can put live plants in there, sounds really kool man