Screen lids?

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by hobotramp, Nov 9, 2002.

1. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make screen lids for tanks? We're buying some larger tanks, but they don't come with lids and we thought it would be cheaper to make them rather than buy them. Any help would be great.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Well, the way I did was simply to make a rectangular frame out of 2x1.

The plastic rim that goes all around the top of the tank has a lip just inside for the lid to rest on, so I made it just fit that space.

Then I covered it in porch screen and stapled it all the way around the side, making a nice snug fit. On a small tank like a 10gallon, it doesn't work out that much cheaper with the material you end up wasting, but if it's for a 65 gallon tank, you're looking to pay about $5-10 instead of $40-50.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

We just got 3 new (used) tanks, without tops... a 29 G, 33G, and 40G (custom made & perfect for leos). Good deal too...$80 Canadian for the lot plus stands for the 29G and 33G. Definitely cheaper to make the tops. Thanks Axe.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. auskan

auskan Embryo

My ex made a lid for my 10-gallon tank. He took a piece of wood and cut it to the right size to sit on the lip. Then he drilled 1/2" holes at regular intervals in the top and adhered some mesh screen to cover the holes. He finished with a regular on handle (from a cabinet door) on the top so its easy to lift on and off. He attached a light fitting on the inside too, so I have a heat lamp. It works really well and is better than an all screen lid, as I like to keep the humidity level up for my Ball Python.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. reptileoasis

reptileoasis Embryo

go to home depot and go to the area that has screening they have repair kits you can use to make very good lides let me know if you have any other qustions. reptileoasis

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JStrider

JStrider Member

.... screen and duct tape...

least thats how mine was till i got more money
    yah im a poor starving college student...

12. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Oh hey, don't look at it like that. I've got a friend with a snake room full of Neodeshas... he still uses duct tape down the sides of the glass on the venomous enclosures, just to be safe, lol. That duct tape is great stuff :lol:

13. BoaMan

BoaMan New Member

Here's a great "how-to" on screen lids here.

14. tokaynoe

tokaynoe Embryo

just use a wooden frame with wire mesh!