Say hi to Sunshine

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by lilpup, Feb 9, 2012.

1. lilpup New Member

Message Count:
    I just got her? today. Sunshine is currently exploring her new tank. an adorable albino. I think She's a bell albino.
    DSCF1453.JPG DSCF1455.JPG
  2. JEFFREH Administrator

Message Count:
    Awwww she's so cute! Hi Sunshine!! = )
  3. lilpup New Member

Message Count:
    ty. right now she's hiding in the back of the tank, clinging to one of the supports for the green platform. lol
  4. Cammy Moderator

Message Count:
    Aww, congratulations on the new baby!
  5. lilpup New Member

Message Count:
    here she is exploring her mansion of a tank. think she's a climber too. caught her climbing the side of the platform there by the rock hide.

Attached Files:

6. lilpup New Member

Message Count:
    DSCF1460.JPG

now this is a way to sleep. lol
    JEFFREH likes this.
  7. JEFFREH Administrator

Message Count:
    LOL! Love it.
  8. StikyPaws312 Moderator

Message Count:
    Lol adorable! I love it when they're that tiny, too cute :)
  9. lilpup New Member

Message Count:
    She's such a brat tho. always hiding back in there. usually hanging onto the carpet.
  10. lilpup New Member

Message Count:
    not sure if she's still stressed, or because it's winter, but Sunshine isn't really eating. She might have a cricket or 2. she won't touch the mealies ( and they are the small ones ). the temps are correct, so i'm thinking she's just not ready yet.
  11. Karlee Member

Message Count:
    Aww she is super cute. And it looks like a nice terranium for her as well. And my Beardie was the same way, she may just not recognize mealies as food yet. And the crickets may be a bit fast for her. Well congrats on the new leopard gecko!
  12. lilpup New Member

Message Count:
    yay. Sunshine started eating the crickets. gave her some last night and this morning all but one were gone :) i'm still trying with the mealies, but so far, no luck. and i gotta figure something for a dish for them. they keep climbing out. and any other dish i have is too high.
  13. Cherin New Member

Message Count:
    My leos never really like the mealies, although they loved the waxworms haha. I never understood it.
  14. Karlee Member

Message Count:
    Mealies: slow, easy prey, but hard shell. May fight back. A bit large some of them.
    Waxworms: slow, easy prey. Soft and asy to swallow and digest. Taste a lot better than mealies.
    What part of it do you not get? Waxworms are highly addictive, kinda like beer.
    Eme Demiri and Cherin like this.
  15. Louie Member

Message Count:
    Very pretty albino leopard.
  16. geckolover22 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    what a cutie =3
  17. lilpup New Member

Message Count:
    wax worms are too fatty to be a major staple. i'd give them as a treat, but not as a staple.
  18. reptile boy New Member

Message Count:
    i heard that on some account the mealies eat them form the inside out.
  19. JEFFREH Administrator

Message Count:
    This is actually an old wives tale, there has never been a documented case of a mealworm or superworm (zophobas morio) eating through a reptile. There are a few reasons why this impossible - 1) the bite of most herps is enough to throroughly jeopardize the integrity of the exoskeleton, making them completely vulernable to the digestive enzymes and stomach acid for a quick and effective death even if the bite doesn't kill them. And 2) insects breathe through holes in the side of their body called 'spiracles', which make them very easy to drown and also add as a means for penetration into the body by the reptile's strong stomach acid.

BUT - for some species, the tough chitanous exoskeleton of mealworms can cause impaction (such as bearded dragons) which is likely where this wive's tell originated. Perhaps an animal died of impaction and necropsy showed undigested shell buildup in the small intestine and pyloric sphincter.

I'd also like to note that mealworms (Tenebrio molitor) are not aggressive at all - Zophobas morio(superworms) can be and do have stronger mandibles. Two completely different species.

And finally - neither species are adequate as staple feeders. BOTH are high in fat, and mealworms have an incredibly poor meat to shell ratio and high phosphorous to calcium ratio... Feed as treats or on occasion. The best diet for any herp is a diet filled with Variety.

Lilpup - you can try a low height Ash Tray as a feeding dish, or something similar. The smooth surface will even prevent crickets from readily escaping because they do not have the mental capacity to problem solve. They will continously try to climb out but be unable to move up about the concaved smooth surface and will not jump out unless disturbed by the leo. Mealworms will also remain confined. You can also try constructing a feed dish housing out of a block of wood, simply cut a hole in a section of 2 x 4 to house the glass dish... this allows the leo to access the feed dish and not topple it over during feed.
    StikyPaws312 likes this.
  20. reptile boy New Member

Message Count:
    I thought about that, i thought it would be impoosible but at that time i didnt know much about that and mealworms and beardies stomachs but i raiser be safe then sorry so i stop finding them mealies.