Say hello to Miho!

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by kephy, Jun 28, 2006.

1. kephy

kephy Moderator

Ahh, so it looks like we are changing the baby's name to Miho. Curt picked it, he wanted another name ending with the letter "O" as we have all our other herps (Rio, Ocho, Domo, Nico[demus]). I like the name better too.

So Jeff, could you change the thread title for me when you get a chance? ;)

Miho is doing great. I don't think she has touched the CGD, but she definately ate 2 crickets last night and 2 more tonight. She is very active at night. I haven't tried to handle her yet, still letting her settle in. I have put my hand in close by her a few times though, just so she can get used to me being nearby and not causing her harm.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Zia

Zia Member

mine freaked out today when i was moving the temp probe...kinda worried me lol

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. kephy

kephy Moderator

Got some new pictures tonight! You can see the nice lavendar color she is settling into, like her mommy. I think it's lovely and she's getting more spots by the day!

Be honest, does that look like a "bulge" under her tail in the first pic? Should I start calling her a he now? Or am I jumping to conclusions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

Lovely colouring.
    Even females can have a slight buldge, and young ones can look like they have a buldge because their tail is sometimes the last thing to fill out. But the spurs look fairly big and round....so she could be a he. How old is it?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. kephy

kephy Moderator

I don't know the hatch date, but it was listed as 4 months old when I bought it nearly two weeks ago.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Zia

Zia Member

Kephy..your gecko is seriously amazing. I really like it :)

Trade you for my new retic :)

12. kephy

kephy Moderator

Thank you. :)

Nothing personal against your retic, but no thanks on that trade. :)

13. GeckoFan

GeckoFan Embryo

He's beautiful :)

14. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Awww

Absolutely adorable! Looks like Squee learned how to use the glass cup pretty quickly =)

15. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Ooops, I mean Miho =P

16. kephy

kephy Moderator

I finally held her a little bit tonight. :lol: She was still a wee bit timid and anxious to go back in her cage, but not traumatized or anything. I think it went as well as I'd have expected.

I got a weight on her too. 6 grams. Is this good for a 4 month old?

17. Zia

Zia Member

I dunno..mine's about 2 months and weighs the same

Although mine's a flippin chow hound.

18. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

Zia- Are you serious that your gecko is only 2 months and is 6 grams? What do you feed it?
    My two geckos that are around your geckos age are about the same. Casper is 3.5 months and is 4.7g and Unnamed Baby is 3.2g at 3 months.

Thats great that she is letting you handle her :lol:

19. kephy

kephy Moderator

Thanks, I thought she looked pretty good for her size. Nice round belly and all. :lol:

Next time I try to hold her I'll have some peach babyfood nearby and make it more rewarding for her.

20. Phil1988

Phil1988 New Member

Yeah that seems like the thing to do - hold her for a bit and then treat with baby food, I'm sure she'll get the idea eventually. Awesome crestie tho I can't wait to get one.

21. kephy

kephy Moderator

She's doing great with the handling! We just took her out and for about 5 minutes both Curt and I handled her, and she was comfortable enough with it to still lick babyfood off my finger afterwards. :D

22. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Yay!

Thats great! Congrats!

23. Zia

Zia Member

Well i'll be honest i dont know POSITIVELY that she's that old. When i bought her she just had come in to petco (i know..petco sucks but it was new and untainted lol) the guy there who is actually good and knowledgable about reptiles said it was around 2 months, it was pretty small at the store, but its grown quite a bit since i got it. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them.

24. brightsideofbleak

brightsideofbleak New Member

so the glass fedding cricket domicilre is working out??? how cool! i really didn't want to drop the cash on 5 "termite hills"

25. kephy

kephy Moderator

Yes, it's working out GREAT! I got the little jar at Michael's craft store for $2.99. The only drawback is that sometimes if there is a little too much powder on the bottom of the jar, it gets on her toes and makes it hard for her to climb out. So I've just been more carefull about excess dust and she's doing great with it. She waits every night above the jar until the crickets come, and then they are gone. She's also getting steadily better at handling, last night I would almost say she was calm.