Savannah Monitor

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Lizard_man1955, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Lizard_man1955

Lizard_man1955 Embryo

Owner and current family member of a Savannah Monitor named "Monty", he is 3 years old and around three feet. He loves his head rubbed and seeks attention by trying to escape from his terrarium. My response to him is "Where are you going to go, do you have cash or credit cards" lol

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Lol. Welcome to Reptile Rooms :) Hope you like it here!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Kayla Johnson

Kayla Johnson New Member

Aww makes me miss my crazy savannah... welcome!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Barry Richardson

Barry Richardson New Member

Thank you Lauren you already have made me feel welcome

Barry

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Barry Richardson

Hi Kayla appreciate that!!!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Eme Demiri

Eme Demiri Member

Awww I absolutely LOVE Savannah Monitors ! I owned one for a short period of time until I found him a new home and it was complete entertainment ! If I had the space I would have loved to keep him.

12. Barry Richardson

I know and this lizard should have his own tv show, such an actor

Eme Demiri likes this.
  13. reptileden0

reptileden0 New Member

HI! My sav and I are glad youre here! Fun lizards arent they!?! I got mine at about 5 months old and she has warmed up to alot of ideas. Not yet as social as an Iggy but potty training and hand feeding is successfull. Mine is about a year old now! What other antics does yours do? How long have you had it? Whats your favorite trait? (these questions go for any sav owners that want to share!)

Barry Richardson likes this.
  14. Barry Richardson

My Savannah likes to watch me when I'm on the internet. Especially when he pops up on screen he will stare at himself for hours. My savannah is 3 years old, loves his mice when its feeding time and has a habit of pooping in his water bowl. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww hehe! i like to take him out each day to the window, seems fascinated by the moving cars and people walking by. Occasionally people will see him in the window and are almost repulsed even scared like the lizard is going to eat them..omg. I could go on hes amazing baby!!!!!!

reptileden0 likes this.
  15. reptileden0

reptileden0 New Member

my Toof also uses a water tub for poopin... ya that is a funk! a have a smaller water dish just for drinking from as she seems smart enough about her poo tub to only poo in it. even when its clean she acts repulsed by it and makes her potty fast with hasty exit! I posted about her on other reptile forum i used to go to and the negative people there still dont beleive in theese types of lizards and what they can be. I keep prooving them wrong! Have you had much of that with yours? Those folks say stuff like " youll never tame them.. they stress no mattter what so dont handle them, they never learn social skills..they cant free think" and so on... I see them as a very shy, self preserving lizard that are teachable, tameable, and mildly sociable as long as they are comfortable with the visiting humans. Toof understands commands even (to a cat like consent) such as the "come here", "be nice", she understands the point of the finger to a bit of food with word "piece" without danger to finger. She knows "catch" and prepares for food catching and catches dropping foods. "up" means stand on hind legs to take food. (its fun to have sutch a verosity for food that word teaching follows naturally as a developed habit/response.) Even the word "no" is in her vocabulary! ( i just gotta watch my toes durring feeding time as i feel they look like little tasty grubs to her and could be nipped by accident). She has bitten durring feeding but has quickly let go as soon as she realized it was attached to me. (I wear nail polish now so its easier to differentiate where food ends and I begin.) Do you use key words?
    Oh and heres a fun thing Toof has picked up.. I collect herbs for tea and grasses and alfalfa for her cage...I offer her these things as learning and variety. She will come charging up to the plants I offer and snag them in a proclimation they are hers and takes them directly to her cave, and does so untill a primitive nest is made. The stuff she doesnt take in to cave she rubs herself over, mostly her face, but sometimes full body rubbing as if she were grooming like she does when shedding.. ive never heard of this behavior....