saturated soil

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by crusty1, Jan 12, 2006.

1. crusty1

crusty1 Member

hey guys, long time to chat...
    i have had my 2 cresties for about 4 to 6 months now, and as i was changing the substrate i noticed i am on my way to having a saturated soil problem.
    i have about 2 - 3 inches of rocks at the bottom of the incloser, followed by about 3 - 4 inches of soil, and 1 inch of coconut fiber. and as i was changing this i realized the soil is somewhat saturated...is there a way to get rid of this unwanted water...i have been trying to soak it up with paper towels and have a heat lamp on the side of saturation....is there a way i can get rid of this without having to redo the whole set up prosess?...is this bad for my cresties?

thanks alot guys...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. crusty1

crusty1 Member

anyone....please

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. pullinapete

pullinapete Member

I would just let it dry out a bit by not misting very heavy just a light one at night so that they can drink also just mist the plants.... the soil will dry out after a few days... just make sure that the soil does not stay dry for impation reasons dry soil is not as easy for your crested gecko to swallow with its crix ( they will injest small amounts of subtrate as long as they are not eating large amounts they will be fine

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

You can dig down to the bottom in one corner, and soak the excess water with a dish sponge... wring it out into a bucket and go again, until the excess is absorbed...

Like pullinapete suggests, don't mist as heavy/as often, and let the soil supply the moisture for the humidity...

Keep an eye out for mold on the surface... if you have good air-flow and the top layer drys out, it shouldn't be a problem...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. crusty1

crusty1 Member

well...i took the top layer of coconut fiber off...so the top layer now is like mucky mud...is this alright for time being....no mold yet....thanks alot guys

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

I would think the deeper you go, the wetter it would be???
    If it's "muddy" on the surface, fluff it up a bit (aerate it), so moisture can evaporate more readily, helping raise humidity level in the enclosure and drying out the substrate...

12. crusty1

crusty1 Member

yea i just fluffed it up, and im about to try your sponge idea....if i dig alittle hole in the ground tho it fills up with water, i have heat lamps on it (monitoring temp) so i hope all works out

13. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

You definitely need to sponge it out then... it sounds like it's close to being a swamp :)

14. damnitbonnie

damnitbonnie New Member

i lost a clutch of mountain horned dragon eggs because of this problem. i REALLY overmisted. i turned off the habba-mist, mixed extra bed a beast in and just let it dry. water pooled in any hole also. when she laid her eggs (it took 3 hours to finish and i didn't want to disturb her) the water pooled over them and oxygen couldn't get in. i drowned the poor little ones. :cry: :oops:

15. crusty1

crusty1 Member

awww lol...ya i did ur idea bryan, GOOD call, man i sponged out prolly like a leter or 2 of water lol...i was starting to get worried, but all is well now...ya i think im gonna mix up some dry coconut fiber up in the dirt, then put a thicker layer on the top...thanks alot guys for all ur help
    i owe ya one bryan

16. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

Not a problem crusty1... that's what this place is all about... helping out...

17. crusty1

crusty1 Member

indeed......after i put everything back, i realised that i should of done the sponge thing abit more...now its worrying me ahha,,,i dunno if i should do it again, its not alot of water, but its alittle more than id like...hmm

18. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

Even when you've soaked the area up, it will continue to leach in from the surrounding saturated soil... When I need to do this, I put a small book under the opposite corner so it drains into the well I've dug... you can also press down on the surface to squeeze more out of the soil...

So long as the majority has gone, the rest should evaporate over time... you just don't want the tide to be so far in that water is at ground level :)