Safe sealant and varnish?

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Dan1992, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Dan1992

Dan1992 Member

Does anyone know what kind of sealants and varnish is safe for beardies? In the process of building a 4" by 2" by 2" for my beardie.

Cheers
    Dan

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

The only one that I know of is this one:
    http://www.environmentalhomecenter.com/sho..._POLYURESEAL_BP
    I'm sure there are plenty of other ones, but this is the one that always comes up when I do my limited searches. I have no idea how easy it is to find this stuff local as I've never tried. But I'm sure if you poke around a few stores you can find it. And if not, I'm sure dozens of online retailers have it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. claws

claws Embryo

I am trying to build my own tank too. I found this article, it might help you too.
    If you decide to build your own enclosure over buying a pre-made one please make the enclosure with non toxic ingredients. Plywood is fine, plexiglass is okay- but it will scratch easily. If you use wood in your construction polyurethane the wood to water proof it. Water based polyurethanes are the best ones to use as far as having less toxic fumes however water based urethanes can still take 30 days or longer to cure. Latex and oil- based coatings will take even longer! If you polyurethane though, please keep in mind that it will need to air out for a week to a month before you use it (and when you put your heat sources in take a good smell again since when it heats up more toxic fumes may be released!) and up to 30 days or more if you really want to be sure that all of the toxic fumes will be gone! If you use silicone to seal the enclosure use a brand that clearly states that it is aquarium safe, others are too toxic to herps. Water based latex paints are okay but again the enclosure must have time to air out. You don't want to kill your new pet!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Dan1992

Dan1992 Member

Cheers, i currently have my beardie in a 36" by 18" by 24" so im building a 48" by 24" by 24" as he is nearly fully grown so waiting for it too air is not a problem.

Thanks guys