Rosy eating habits

Discussion in 'Boas' started by jeffg46, Dec 21, 2008.

1. jeffg46

jeffg46 New Member

I have an eating, or not eating, question for anyone with experience with Rosy Boas. I have a male chocolate Mex that hasn't eaten since Sept 12th. I weighted him in July and he was 100 g. I just weighed him and he now 110 g. He was born in July '07, has always eaten great, and exhibits no change in behavior, color, or anything. His cage had been kept at around 85-90 deg. (on the warm side), 10-15 deg cooler on the cool side, with water in a shallow dish a few days every week or 2.

Now, I have read that they can go off feed in fall, or mating season, and even keep their weight fairly constant, but this is ridiculous. I've decided to turn his heater off, letting the temp go down to 65-70 deg. (the ambient temp in the house). At what point might I think about trying to warm him up and see if he'll eat? I figured breeding season would have been well past by now, and he would be back on the gravy train by now.

I have 2 Ball Pythons (in a different room). One had been a picky eater, but nothing like this. Any ideas, similar experiences?

Thanks.

Jeff

Because I know it will be asked:

1. Type of snake
    Rosy
    2. Age of snake
    1.5 years
    3. How big is the snake?
    18 in.
    4. List as much information that you know about where the snake came from. (Where was it born? Did it come from a store or breeder?)
    purchased from reputable breeder
    5. How long you have had the snake
    1.2 years
    6. When was the last time you tried to feed it?
    12-19-08
    7. What have you been feeding the snake?
    large pinky mice
    8. Cold side temperature
    approx 70-75 deg
    9. Hot side temperature
    approx 85-90 deg
    10. Description of cage. Ie: number of hides, substrate, type of cage
    20 gal, 2 hides (one on each temp side), aspen bedding
    11. Description of where in the house the cage is located.
    2nd floor bedroom
    12. Description of the amount of traffic around the cage. Ie: People, animals, children
    not much activity