Ringneck Snake

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by Reptikeeps101, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Reptikeeps101

Reptikeeps101 New Member

Hello, well i was with my friend outside and i flipped over a rock and there happened to be a hatchling ringneck snake. it is by far the smallest snake i have seen. The only problem is that i dont know what to feed it! It is almost winter here in New York and some people say i should feed it worms and salamanders and others say pinkie mice. I don't to let him go right now because it is freezing outside nad i am afraid he won't be able to take care of himself. The main problem is i don't know where to get worms and salamanders over the winter.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Geckos-R-Cool

Geckos-R-Cool New Member

Well, here's a link for some info on Ringneck Snakes: http://home.pcisys.net/~dlblanc/articles/ringneck.php

As far as finding worms to feed your snake you can try your local bait and tackle shops. They usually carry redworm and/or night crawlers. In your casse the red worms would mostly likely work.

It doesn't say where you're located, but here PA I've seen wild snakes out and about on warm fall days well into October. Maybe consider watching your weather for your area and pick day that is going to be nice and warm and just realse him. He has instincts and will seek shelter to survive.

Do you have other snakes and/or reptiles in your collection? If so, it's to their best interest to probably not keep a wild caught (WC) snake. WC's can bring in parasites and other diseases that affect your collection.

I'd try and let it go FWIW.

Good Luck!