Rhacodactylus Geckos General

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by Advent, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Advent

Advent Member

What are all the species in this group?

How big do they get?

Is there a diet sheet?

And can someone post a pic of their setup?

Which is easier; Rhacodactylus Geckos or Uroplatus Geckos?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

The most common species in the group are as follows:
    -Crested Gecko (R. ciliatus)
    -Gargoyle Gecko (R. Auriculatus)
    -New Caledonian Giant Gecko (R. Leachinus)
    -Chahoua Gecko (R. Chahoua)

*note: listed in order by availability

The crested gecko can attain a total length of 7-10 inches tip to tip. Gargolye geckos are just a little smaller, reaching 7-9 inches. The Giant gecko can reach 9-13 inches and I believe its the heaviest gecko in the world, and the Chahoua (which as far as I'm concerned the hardest to find), can reach I believe 6-10 inches.

All of the Rhacodactylus geckos eat a very similair diet, consisting of both meat and fruit. Young geckos should eat a higher portion of insects, and only a small amount of fruit, while adults should eat a more balanced diet, of about 40-50% meat, and 50-60% fruit. The fruit should be served in the form of babyfood. Apricot, peach, pear, apple, etc. are all good flavors.

Don't have a recent setup pic, sorry. I'll have to get one once I get my camera provledges again.

I find Rhacodactylus geckos easier, both are amazing. But uroplayus geckos are more expensive (for the most part) and require more expensive setups. Also, The Rhaco group is IMO, the most easily handled species there is. Crested's tend to get used to you and learn who you are, and Chaouha's are literally the puppies of the gecko world.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Advent

Advent Member

Sounds great.

Know a good place to get one in the Houston area? Or a good place to ship?

Could you describe what you need in the setup and what size it needs to be?

Thanks for your help.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

Here's a few of my Rhac set ups.....

my Auric (Gargoyle setup), he's just a juvie...so he's only in a 5.5 gal right now, he'll upgrade when he gets a bit bigger tho. :wink: if you look closely, you can see him on his vine sleeping. (upper right corner)
    [​IMG]

here's one of my Crestie's setups, it's a 20gal.(high)
    [​IMG]

and here's my other crestie's setup, pretty much the same. :roll:
    [​IMG]

here he is waking up from a good days sleep, just happen to catch him as he was coming out of his hide. :D
    [​IMG]

.....hope that helped somewhat.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Advent

Advent Member

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Nice setup BTW Kurt, and gorgoues crestie!

Yea, I beleive those vines are the same. I think you can allso get them at most pet stores too. The substrate is repti carpet

A young crestie should eat every day, about 3-6 insects. Once or twice a week offer fruit babyfood, and once a week you can add a little bit of spirulina(sp?). Once an adult it can still eat every day, but may not be hungry every day, and may eat every other day. Keep a small lid of babyfood available at all times. A water dish should also be available at all times, however another water source is needed. You need to spray the enclosure with a water bottle, 1-3 times daily. They will usually only drink the droplets of water that came from the spray, and this will also raise the humidity to the desired range (about 60-80%).

No they dont need UV lighting, they are nocturnal and this has little or no benefit tot hem. The temperature is usally fine at room temp, about 70-80F. If it gets below 60 at night, get a ceramic heat emitter or a red/blue bulb.

I belive that is a water dish. and the little balck thing in the center I beleive is a thermometer. In the corner I beleive is a hammock, and the other piece is simply cage furniture, some sort of log/stick.

Hopefully I got all those right, If I missed anything, or you want to add something go ahead kurt.

12. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

13. Advent

Advent Member

14. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

1-gecko
    1-water dish
    4-silk plants
    1-ground hide
    2-branches
    Cocunut fiber substrate

Simple, and has everything the gecko really needs. A couple more plants wouldnt hurt though

15. Advent

Advent Member

You replied as I edited :D

16. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

yeah.....the thermometer is on the floor....the hydrometer (Humidity) is on the back wall......and that's a hubba tree, they spend most of their time on them.

17. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I would still spray, but with that I dont think a water dish would be required. I think that would be a good addition to the cage

18. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

here is my new setup. i have 3 live plants and live moss on the bottom of the tank, along with fakes vines and leaves i just misted it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Advent

Advent Member

That's nice, are those two cages connected?

Are these little guys worth it to get? Or should i get an uroplatus? Or a leo? I'm just kindof interested in geckos, because they sound fun, and they don't cost alot.

Could you recommend any other kind of gecko? The marble auric also looks pretty cool.

20. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

those are 2 10g connected with silicon sealant. i have crested geckos, leopard geckos, and i am planning on getting 2 uroplatus geckos. i would definatly reccommend cresties to anyone who wants a gecko. another good gecko who need the same care as a crestie and has awsome coloration is the gargoyle gecko

21. Advent

Advent Member

You would recommend them over leos and uroplatus?

22. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

It depends on how much your willing to spend. Cresties and gargoyles are more than leo's. All of them have cool colormorphs to choose from, and all have simple care. Personally, my crestie seems tamer than my leo and his skin is smmoth and I like how he clings to you with his toes (those adhesive like pads). Dunno if that kinda thing matters to you or not.

It's all up to you in the end. Just look at all of them and see which you like best!

23. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

uroplatus cant be handled very much and they are not only more expensive, but harder to find. leos are all too common and tons of people have them.

24. Advent

Advent Member

Yea i'll probly get one of these rhacos, but i like the simplicity of feeding leos meal worms, but baby food wouldn't be much harder, and these guys sound friendlier.

When i'm about to get one i'll post again. ( few months minimum :) )

25. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i think the cresties are simpler. its cheaper too then paying for worms