rescued mole king snake

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by CornLover, Dec 12, 2002.

1. CornLover

CornLover Embryo

hi just wanted to find out any info about mole king snakes......my sister rescue one that was run over in the road. she has had it for about a month and it is doing well except we are having difficulty getting it to eat anything on its own. it is healing well and seems friendly.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. CornLover

CornLover Embryo

thanks i do appricate it......i do want to learn all i can.....i don't particularly want to feed him/her other snakes but we have offered everything else and the only thing that seems to excite it is when we go close to the other snakes........because of his size we are guessing him to be a full grown adult....so maybe that's what he was finding in the wild. any ideas or suggestions are most certainly welcome.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

If he's a wild, it couldn't really hurt to grab a few adult male brown anoles from the wild (if there are any in the area).

Those are sometimes a last resort for problem feeders.

After that, if you've exhausted all other options, the only things you can really try are force or tube feeding.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. froggystyle34

froggystyle34 New Member

if it is doing well why dopnt you just release it into the wild clsoe to where you found it. chances are you will not get it to eat, especially after it has dealt with the stress of being ran over. no matter what ever you decide to do i wish you the best of luck. i just personally believe a wild snake is not a very good beginner snake when there are so many breeders out there that sell them for next to nothing,

froggy

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. CornLover

CornLover Embryo

he is healing well but not too where he would survive if released yet.....we are trying to keep handling to a minium so that he can be released when well enough. It was a pretty severe wound but only time will tell i guess.

12. froggystyle34

froggystyle34 New Member

well i would go ahead and keep him then. he may not be eating because of the stress from being run over. if he is not losing weight and is active and doing well acclamte him to the human touch and give him the happiest home you can. i find that if WC kings dont eat a western hognose or a good ole pigmy rattler will usually do the trick. i frined of mine had a WC florida king that wont eat nothing but rattlers and copperheads, but he eats them dead so we go and get roadkill for him so it is alot easier that way. i got him to take his first rat last night but it had part of a skin from my cal king on it. well i hope this helps you could try that shed skin thing it might work for you as well

froggy

13. CornLover

CornLover Embryo

Well I have some good news and some news that Im not too sre about....The snake has shed and the wond looks alot better...still has alot of fresh meat showing bt much less then before.....the news that i'm not sre about is she gave it to me......so its my desion to release it or not. I really like her bt i want him to be happy.....it will never be able to breed or even be able to tell if its male or female. i gess ill make that desion when its healed.

14. froggystyle34

froggystyle34 New Member

i would wait till it is completley healed, then it will probably be too late to release. so just give it a good happy home, take it to the vet to check for internal parasites and all, then give it a happy homoe

froggy

15. CornLover

CornLover Embryo

Thanks froggy and everyone.....ill keep ya pdated on Sgar(i decided to name it) i think i may try to get some pictures of Sg on here for ya'll to see.

16. LizardGuy1313

LizardGuy1313 New Member

Cool :) :cool: Cant wait to see the pics!