reptiles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by jacob #kswag, Nov 21, 2011.

1. xlendi

xlendi Member

I hope that all parents realise that reptiles are a wonderful thing to have their kids interested in - especially considering all of the other things people can get into. My mother just never knew quite what I had - I will admit to hiding more than a few things and fortunately she was not too observant. Sooo, I had reptiles, amphibians, insects, hawks, and even a bat. Let your parents know that they are blessed and need to support your interests.

Someone's post reminded me of some places I have been where there were geckoes loose in house, especially in the bedrooms - walls and ceiling - and they were not to be bothered since they ate insects. I loved it, but it creeped out my husband. Along those lines, I had one of my own little ones escape, and in the middle of the night, I felt his little feet run over mine. "Oh, there he is," I thought -and I got up and put him back into his container. No panic - and I have trouble understanding why anyone would. We have to enjoy our reptile friends and enjoy being a different kind of person than most of those we see around us.

My favourite reptiles are snakes and my all time favourite was a Columbian Rainbow Boa - Kelly. She was always responsive to my attention and loved being handled. I have been so tied up in work that I have not done much for myself in a long time - so I am getting back into having reptiles - and it is great! I am looking forward to more snakes besides my current BP, and then an iguana - and who knows what else! The Boards helped me realise that I am not so crazy. thanks!

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

Well, maybe you should make sure you're mom knows you really want one-you could maybe even get her to make the full payment, but have the breeder put it "on hold" until you have all the supplies needed..since the breeder's close anyways-you might have to go with a differen't one if she can't do that and it's gone before you're ready for it. You should show her what @xlendi said, since it's a really good example of why people shouldn't be scared of reptiles and how they're just as much of a pet as a cat or dog can be lol :)
    and @geckolover22-I hope to get a BP, my parents and I saw them at a reptile show and got to hold them and stuff-they're very personable! I was planning on a corn/milk snake or a sand/rosy boa at first-which I might still end up doing-but, I wanna try to get a BP(preferably some kind of spider morph :p ) They just need a bigger tank and stuff, but I hope to work it out!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jacob #kswag

jacob #kswag New Member

thanks for all the info guys :) these forms help a bunch and are fun too!

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. geckolover22

geckolover22 Well-Known Member

@lizardgurl ur going for one of my all time fav royal morphs :eek: i hoped to breed my black pastel with a spider but decided on a pastel female and somewhere along the line if i get a black pewter breed a spider into that :D

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. xlendi

xlendi Member

Ok somebody needs to educate me on morphs and all. I am still in the vein of what nature created originally (lately anyway) that I can't get my head around breeding creations. Update me - this was not an issue when I last had any reptiles.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lizardgurl87

@geckolover22-Oh, cool! I love the patterns and how they snap their heads back(which the breeder showed me, like a spider lol) I think all BP's are awesome though! They all have amazing patterns and colors(even the "normals" :p )
    and @xlendi-I still don't really understand morphs lol, but I sorta have the idea..I know it has to do with genetics a lot, which determines the patterns/colors. There's a lot of species now with morphs/variations(beardies, BP's, leos, cresties, etc.)
    here's a few websites I found that should help some: http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/ <--This is a list off BP morphs...as you can see there's A BUNCH! lol :D
    http://www.rcreptiles.com/blog/index.php/2006/08/24/understanding_ball_python_genetics <--This one is more about the genetics.
    http://www.leopardgeckowiki.com/index.php?title=Category:Morphs <--Here's some on Leo morphs.
    http://www.ukbeardeddragons.co.uk/morphs.htm <--Here's on Beardie's-I think with them it's mainly only color variations.
    I'm sure there are morphs for a lot of animals out there, but these are the most popular I've seen...hope I helped! :)

12. Eme Demiri

Eme Demiri Member

ha ha... Funny (y)
    and Lizard gurl , what kind of snake are you getting ? I've owned both beardies and CWD and I have more fun with my water dragon<3

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  13. geckolover22

Tho it's kinda sad that some particular morphs has problems like some spider ball pythons would have the wobbles even a morph of cornsnake that has a "stargazing" gene defect along with the enigma trait in leos

14. Eme Demiri

Eme Demiri Member

Thank the lord my spider doesn't have the Wobbles

15. geckolover22

lucky spider :D

16. Eme Demiri

Eme Demiri Member

17. jacob #kswag

jacob #kswag New Member

prob not gonna get the cresti report card wasent good )"""":

18. xlendi

xlendi Member

Thanks lizardgurl! Just as I thought - human engineering of reptilian genetics for the human's smusement to see what they can create. Hmmm, I think I will stick with those reptiles that I always wanted when I was a kid but could not afford. And now, Supernova has me seriously looking at iguanas. BUT, I have to hold back since I cannot really get much of anything until we move in the spring back to where family is so that I have "babysitters" for when I have to be out of town - my well-trained family. (Everyone I know here runs screaming at the thought).

And Jacob - I wish you well on bring up the grades. It might help to set your goals so you have good reason to hang in there. Just about anything serious that you may want to do working with reptiles or science will require pretty good grades. It sounds as though your school studies are not currently hitting the right buttons with you, but the reality is that you have to get through it all in order to get where you are interested in what you are studying. Talk to a teacher you feel comfortable with - they will do just about anything for a student who is willing to try. And "surprise" it will make things easier at home with the parents if they see you are making a good effort - and that could be worth a crestie!

lizardgurl87 and jacob #kswag like this.
  19. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Hawks...that would be awesome to keep, expensive I would think though. The falconry permits are expensive, and the enclosure for the hawk costs somewhere around 1000. I would love to do it, if my parents would let me, and I had the cash.

20. geckolover22

aww that sucks :( I support xlendi suggestion just gotta work a lil harder but it's worth it :)
    also about the hawks..that would be so awesome getting one *.* but ima settle for a lovebird :) my dad wouldnt get such an animal maybe raven but not hawk :(

21. jacob #kswag

jacob #kswag New Member

thanks trying hard but i think i have a loop hole my grandparents come from poldant and the only thing im gonna put on my list is the gecko stuff hopefuly that will get them to get me it cuz thell have nothing else to get me (;

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  22. lizardgurl87

@Eme Demiri-a spider morph(I'm thinking a bee/spider mix :) ) and what exactly is wobbles? I should probably be concerned about it if I'm getting a spider then, right?
    @xlendi-lol, that's basically what it is sadly :/ but, it is cool what they can come up with sometimes.
    @jacob-that sucks your grades weren't that good and the loophole's an ok idea, but maybe you should try to work harder for it if you really want it. It will show even more your commitment...and you would only have to wait a few more months until your intrims or next report card...sometimes it's better to wait and it's more worth it. :) That might not be what you wanna hear-sorry, but if your grandparents can do it and your parents are ok with it-it would be fine...but, your grandparents probably wouldn't do it without your parents approval anyways.

23. Eme Demiri

Eme Demiri Member

Spider ball pythons are known for having the wobble head. It's not something very serious but you would be able to notice. They seem off balance and sometimes when feeding it causes them to miss there mark, but shouldn't stop them from eating. When you're looking to buy one just ask the breeder if it displays the wobble trait.
    I have a spider and I was really afraid about that but he's awesome and rarely misses his mark when eating lol

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  24. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

my favorite reptile of all time i think would have to be the american alligator. ill never keep one but ive already made imaginary plans in my head to turn my living room into an enclosure for one

my favorite reptile that im able to keep would be a leopard gecko. i love their chubby tails and ethen is always so graceful when her weight is too much for her hammock

lizardgurl87 and geckolover22 like this.
  25. lizardgurl87

Well, that sorta sucks :/ but, at least it's not that big of a deal. I thought it was like some big disease or something lol :p That sucks that most of them have that and probably from testing all the differen't kind of morphs-even though they're all awesome!-it's too bad stuff like that happens from trying to make differen't morphs and such.