Red tail boa opinion?

Discussion in 'Boas' started by RobbieReptileMan, Jan 28, 2012.

1. RobbieReptileMan

RobbieReptileMan New Member

My friend wants to give me a 7ft red tail boa! Are they aggressive or document? Easy or a challenge? Please help!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

http://www.anapsid.org/boa.html <---I found this good caresheet for you to look at. I have seen them before and they are pretty cool-usually pretty tame too, like most boa's. They can get to be pretty big(around 10ft)and live pretty long(about 40 years)-so that's some stuff to consider...they can get big enough to when full grown-have to eat rabbits(which they sell frozen, like other snake food). They sound cool, but might be too much to handle(it would be for me!). Whatever you do and if you can take it and care for it-that would be cool :) Maybe you should ask your friend if he could give you the setup and how he cared for it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Whether or not the snake is aggressive (defensive) is going to depend primarily on how the snake has become accustomed to people... you'll have to talk to the current owner about how testy the snake is. If it has been handled a lot throughout its life, it may be a very docile snake that can tolerate handling well with no worries, but if interaction wasn't practiced you may have a 7ft snake that gets huffy and more than willing to strike.

Do you know whether it is a Boa constrictor constrictor (BCC) or Boa constricor imperator (BCI)? The prior are considered the "true" red tail boas, and can attain larger sizes than the common boa. They are also generally known to be a little on the nippier side but as with many snakes can calm down with regular interaction (and there are always exceptions and unique individuals). The colombian boa is one of the most common BCI seen in the pet trade, and if its 7ft its likely close to maximum adult size.

Whether they are easy or a challenge depends entirely on your definitions, heh. Snakes in general are easy to care for as long as you can provide the proper environment. A snake this size should have an enclosure at LEAST 4' x 2' x 2', and would be content in larger if you could accomodate it. Once you have the setup down and temperatures established, its just a matter of changing water, feeding, and cleaning. A testy snake will make some tasks more difficult (you'll have to look into it) while one that is passive can make for a great pet that will tolerate regular handling sessions and won't be a pain in the rear during cage cleans, etc.

It is possible to work with animals that are testy, but generally it takes a little more work with older animals and there is more at risk. There is a big difference in getting tagged by a juvie than a 7ft adult ; )

We can get into proper care and husbandry if you have any questions about that as well = ) Just ask away! And as mentioned by lizardgurl, keep in mind this is a commitment. These snakes can live a long time, and do require some space.

I'm personally an advocate for temperature cycling and feeding a little on the slimmer side with boas; a lot of care sheets and breeders treat these guys like colubrids or ball pythons and feed them far too much in ideal conditions which can lead to obesity and actually stunt growth in the long term. One this size should probably get an appropriate sized meal once every 10-14 days (roughly the same size as the widest girth of the snake). And if temps are dropped slightly in the winter, a lower frequency.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. RobbieReptileMan

RobbieReptileMan New Member

Well i got her! I understand how much a commitment it will have to be and im ready and also excited for the challenge! I actually just put her back in her tank but i hate the tank that shes in shes in a 50 gallon right now and i feel like that it is way to small for her but i have to say she is one of the nicest snakes i have ever owned! She is just so gentle and nice there is no reaction when i reach in the tank and when shes on me she loves draping around my neck and crawling all over the place and the couch and everything! they were feeding her 2 medium rats a week and i would say shes about 5 or 6 feet i havent measured yet! But any ideas for a bigger cage or like some blueprints to build one it would be greatly appreciated!

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Thats awesome! You should get pictures up here to show her off = )

You might consider browsing the Enclosures forum, a couple of members have had recent builds that might interest you for a project idea. Other enclosure options include PVC, plastic, or melamine caging.
    Here's just a basic example of a 4' x 2' footprint cage such as this, I can provide other links to other sources as well:
    http://www.repti-racks.com/index.ph...category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6
    They are convenient with the front opening door - and to build one isn't overly difficult using plywood or melamine. If you are handy, it can be an affordable project. You...also wouldn't be restricted to this size either.

I do have a recommendation: Depending on the size of the rat, she might only need one a week... or one every 10-14 days for her size. Boas are pretty frequently overfed because they are garbage disposals and will readily accept prey consistently, but the reality is they fare better on slightly leaner diet plans. How big is the rat compared to girth of the snake?